Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/06/21 14:07:28 UTC

So what about QA?

We've had a lot of discussions from the dev, documentation, education,
translation/localization perspectives.  But I haven't really heard
anything about testing.

Could someone brief us on how QA was handled with OOo?  Was it a
community effort?  Or was it done by Sun/Oracle? Was there any test
automation?  Or was it manual?  Are there test documents available?
Are there unit/pre-integration tests?  Or are they mainly tests of the
integrated product?

And given what was done before, what worked well and should be done
the same way in Apache?  And what didn't work so well and should be
changed?

-Rob

Re: So what about QA?

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org> wrote:

> I also appreciate these conversations but I get a feeling we are inventing
> the wheel from scratch. Most of the questions regarding QA, Testing,
> Documentation, and such where already documented. So I wonder if the
> questions are originated from thin air or based already on the documented
> process.
>
> So to put it differently Rob, have you read on the QA processes and then ask
> for specifics, or did you just ask if there was any QA set in place?
>
> I am just trying to save time explaining every projects function from
> scratch.

Let me explain. We have several three repositories of OpenOffice content:

1) The source code and other asserts that is checked into
OpenOffice.org repositories

2) The pages on the OpenOffice.org wiki

3) The user forums and mailing lists

4) The bug database

5) Anything that Oracle has, for functions that they performed
themselves, beyond their corporate firewall

At some point, Oracle will unplug the server that is currently hosting
OpenOffice.org. This won't happen immediately, but it will happen.

There are project volunteers looking at the product source code and
what is required to bring that over.  We've had discussions on SVN
versus git, and there are discussions about what additional source
files we might need.

I saw zero discussions about QA.  So, I just want to make sure that we
have a good idea what content we need to migrate, and that we have a
plan to do this.

I wanted to find out whether everything we needed to test was public,
or whether there were test cases, test files, automation, etc., that
were not on the public web site.

I also wanted to see if we had sufficient expertise on the list to
make the above migration possible, or whether we needed to recruit
additional volunteers with background in OOo QA.

I see that you've started to add information to this page on the wiki,
listing the things that QA will need migrated.  This is great!

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Site-QA-Plan

Regards,

-Rob

Re: So what about QA?

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: So what about QA?

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob and all,

Re: So what about QA?

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

I think Maho Nakata has fully answered your question about QA.
:)
I mentioned OpenOffice.org Japanese Language Project's QA activity
when I answered Dennis Hamilton's questions on this list.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTikj9HHFsp4T3XhnK-68mzVx1rKx9g@mail.gmail.com%3E
(Can you tell me how to shorten a lengthy link to a mail? :)

The idea is that the language projects know their language the best.
They know their language builds the best.
So the language projects take responsibility to do QA testing on their
language builds, approve them and release them.
They choose how to test.  They decide what criteria they approve their
language builds to be released.

Thanks,
khirano
--
Kazunari Hirano
http://openoffice.exblog.jp/

Re: So what about QA?

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
OK.  It is good that we have some experienced QA experts in the project.

I wonder whether we could start putting together a QA plan the various
milestones, especially what is needed for the 1st release and what is
needed to migrate any QA systems from OpenOffice.org website.

This planning work could go on in parallel to the development work
that is currently going on.

I've started a wiki page for the plan here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home

I've outlined what I think will be required for the QA effort for our
first build.  But I am not an expert in OOo QA.

Could the experts review this page and improve it?

Ditto for:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Site-QA-Plan
 This is the plan for making sure that we migrate everything that QA
needs from the OpenOffic.org website.

Thanks,

-Rob

Re: So what about QA?

Posted by Stephan Bergmann <st...@googlemail.com>.

Re: So what about QA?

Posted by Maho NAKATA <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob

I'm a QA project lead, http://qa.openoffice.org/

From: RA Stehmann <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>
Subject: Re: So what about QA?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:42:50 +0200

> Rob Weir schrieb:
>> We've had a lot of discussions from the dev, documentation, education,
>> translation/localization perspectives.  But I haven't really heard
>> anything about testing.
>>
>> Could someone brief us on how QA was handled with OOo?  Was it a
>> community effort?  Or was it done by Sun/Oracle? Was there any test
>> automation?  Or was it manual?  Are there test documents available?
>> Are there unit/pre-integration tests?  Or are they mainly tests of the
>> integrated product?
>>
>> And given what was done before, what worked well and should be done
>> the same way in Apache?  And what didn't work so well and should be
>> changed?
>>
> As I'm married with the Person, which is in authority for the QA in the
> germanophone community, I want to give my 2 cents.
>
> QA was done by SUN/Oracle and the community.

Right.
See also, what is done in QA in Hamburg (Oracle) can be found:
http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2008/programme/thursday_1416.odp
.
> The development collateral QA was mostly done by employees of
> SUN/Oracle, but in some cases also members of the community test so
> called cws-builds.

> Testing of the milestones, betas and release canditates was done by die
> natural language communities.

and Hamburg as well.

http://quaste.services.openoffice.org/
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/QUASTe

QATrack
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/QATrack
http://qatrack.services.openoffice.org/

> We have some tools for doing and
> organizing the testing esp. scripts for automatic tests.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/VCLTesttool

We have also done manual tests, at TCM.
http://quaste.services.openoffice.org/tcm/tcm_login.cgi?tcm_config=newooo
we define test cases, and check by volunteers by hands.

Other than that
Pavel Janik and myself have been providing builds for every milestones so
that we can test OpenOffice.org for minor languages and platforms.

> Mechtilde as the Ansprechpartner (contact person) QA of the germanophone
> community decides finally what germanophone versions (Win, Solaris, deb,
> rpm etc.) will be released, But their was no controversy about that in
> the past.

Enoki Shinji was the QA manager of the Japanese language project.

> The general decision whether a milestone is good enough to be released
> as beta or final version was found in the release status meeting. In
> this IRC-meetings was a great effort to find a consensus.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ReleaseStatus_Minutes

Thanks,
-- Nakata Maho http://accc.riken.jp/maho/ , JA OOO http://ja.openoffice.org/
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/nakatamaho/ ,GPG: http://accc.riken.jp/maho/maho.pgp.txt

Re: So what about QA?

Posted by Maho NAKATA <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob

I'm a QA project lead, http://qa.openoffice.org/

From: RA Stehmann <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:42:50 +0200

Re: So what about QA?

Posted by RA Stehmann <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.
Rob Weir schrieb:
> We've had a lot of discussions from the dev, documentation, education,
> translation/localization perspectives.  But I haven't really heard
> anything about testing.
>
> Could someone brief us on how QA was handled with OOo?  Was it a
> community effort?  Or was it done by Sun/Oracle? Was there any test
> automation?  Or was it manual?  Are there test documents available?
> Are there unit/pre-integration tests?  Or are they mainly tests of the
> integrated product?
>
> And given what was done before, what worked well and should be done
> the same way in Apache?  And what didn't work so well and should be
> changed?

As I'm married with the Person, which is in authority for the QA in the
germanophone community, I want to give my 2 cents.

QA was done by SUN/Oracle and the community.

The development collateral QA was mostly done by employees of
SUN/Oracle, but in some cases also members of the community test so
called cws-builds.

Testing of the milestones, betas and release canditates was done by die
natural language communities. We have some tools for doing and
organizing the testing esp. scripts for automatic tests.

Mechtilde as the Ansprechpartner (contact person) QA of the germanophone
community decides finally what germanophone versions (Win, Solaris, deb,
rpm etc.) will be released, But their was no controversy about that in
the past.

The general decision whether a milestone is good enough to be released
as beta or final version was found in the release status meeting. In
this IRC-meetings was a great effort to find a consensus.

Regards
Michael