Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/10 14:21:33 UTC

Ajax features (support)

Howard would you mind sharing some more thoughts on this sentence
found on the request processing doc:

"In cases where the event type is not the default, "action", it will
appear between the nested component id and the event context, preceded
by a colon. Example: "/example/foo.bar:magic/99" would trigger an
event of type "magic". This is not common in the vanilla Tapestry
framework, but will likely be more common as Ajax features (which
would not use the normal request logic) are implemented."

What's the actual meaning of "which would not use the normal request logic"?
Do you plan to extend the current dispatcher facility or you were
simply talking about the usage of XMLHttpRequest instead of 'normal
browser requests'?

Regards
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Ajax features (support)

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On 3/11/07, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, exactly.
>
> XMLHttpRequest will be sending other types of events than ":action",
> such as ":refresh", ":update" ... whatever makes sense.

How do you plan to address the 'runtime' creation of input type within a form?
I mean totally client side, let's say button will fire a
Builder.node('input', {class:'searchItem', id=currentId, name=currentName});
and not an ajax request which will probably return an html chunk to do the same.

It could probably be a Translator (TextField translate) used to add
value to a List property within the page?

> The event handler methods will respond with new response types that
> will be capable of sending back text, html and json responses to
> accomplish various things on the client side.
>
> The design of events and mixins in T5 were guided by needs of these use-cases.

It seems to me they reach their goal.

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Ajax features (support)

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Yes, exactly.

On 3/10/07, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howard would you mind sharing some more thoughts on this sentence
> found on the request processing doc:
>
> "In cases where the event type is not the default, "action", it will
> appear between the nested component id and the event context, preceded
> by a colon. Example: "/example/foo.bar:magic/99" would trigger an
> event of type "magic". This is not common in the vanilla Tapestry
> framework, but will likely be more common as Ajax features (which
> would not use the normal request logic) are implemented."
>
> What's the actual meaning of "which would not use the normal request logic"?
> Do you plan to extend the current dispatcher facility or you were
> simply talking about the usage of XMLHttpRequest instead of 'normal
> browser requests'?
>
> Regards
> --
> Massimo