Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Thomas Chang <th...@yahoo.de> on 2008/01/26 16:07:20 UTC

A question about log4j and the location of "log4j.properties" in a web application

Hi all,

  I use maven2 to build a webapp. I want to use the log4j. The dir-structure looks as follow:

  MyWeb/
    /src
       /main
          /java
          /res
       /webapp
          /WEB-INF

  Now I have two questons:

1.
Where should I put the "log4j.properties"? I think it should be under /webapp//WEB-INF?

2.
How can the program find this file (I mean how to write in the java)?

Regards

Thomas

---------------------------------
Ihr erstes Baby? Holen Sie sich Tipps von anderen Eltern.

Re: A question about log4j and the location of "log4j.properties" in a web application

Posted by Thomas Chang <th...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Jake,

  I use JSF, the servlet is embayded.

  > 2.
> How can the program find this file (I mean how to write in the java)?

Use the Servlet API.
  servletContext.getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/log4j.properties");

*********************

  Thomas Chang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I use maven2 to build a webapp. I want to use the log4j. The
 dir-structure looks as follow:

>   MyWeb/
>     /src
>        /main
>           /java
>           /res
>        /webapp
>           /WEB-INF
>
>   Now I have two questons:
>
> 1.
> Where should I put the "log4j.properties"? I think it should be under
 /webapp//WEB-INF?

/webapp/WEB-INF/ is not in the classapth.  Therefore, Log4j will not
 find it via
auto-configuration.  You will have to perform manual configuration to
 load this.

Jake

---------------------------------
Ihr erstes Fernweh? Wo gibt es den schönsten Strand.

RE: A question about log4j and the location of "log4j.properties" in a web application

Posted by "Malik, Pratibha" <Pr...@safenet-inc.com>.
You can add a configuration dir in ur MyWeb folder and add the
log4j.properties in that folder.

>   I use maven2 to build a webapp. I want to use the log4j. The
dir-structure looks as follow:

>   MyWeb/
>     /src
>        /main
>           /java
>           /res
>        /webapp
>           /WEB-INF
>
>   Now I have two questons:
>
> 1.
> Where should I put the "log4j.properties"? I think it should be under
/webapp//WEB-INF?

/webapp/WEB-INF/ is not in the classapth.  Therefore, Log4j will not
find it via
auto-configuration.  You will have to perform manual configuration to
load this.

> 2.
> How can the program find this file (I mean how to write in the java)?

Use the Servlet API.
servletContext.getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/log4j.properties");

Jake

> Regards
>
> Thomas

or disclosing it.

Re: A question about log4j and the location of "log4j.properties" in a web application

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.