Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2009/02/02 11:40:17 UTC

Re: settin JAVA_HOME...

haizhou zhao wrote:
> hi Sandy,
> Every time I change the conf, i have to do the following to things:
> 1. kill all hadoop processes
> 2. manually delelte all the file under hadoop.tmp.dir
> to make sure hadoop runs correctly, otherwise it wont work.
>
> Is this cause'd by my using a JDK instead of sun java?

No, you need to do that to get configuration changes picked up. There
are scripts in hadoop/bin to help you

>and what do you mean
> by "sun-java", please?

Sandy means

* sun-java6-jdk: Sun's released JDK
* default-jdk ubuntu chooses. On 8.10, it is open-jdk
* open-jdk-6-jdk: the full open source version of the JDK. Worse font
rendering code, but comes with more source

Others
* Oracle JRockit: good 64-bit memory management, based on the sun JDK
unsupported
* IBM JVM unsupported. Based on the sun JDK
* Apache Harmony: clean room rewrite of everything. unsupported
* Kaffe. unsupported
* Gcj. unsupported

type java -version to get your java version

Sun

java version "1.6.0_10"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (buld 11.0-b14, mixed mode

JRockit:

java version "1.6.0_02"
BEA JRockit(R) (build
R27.4.0-90-89592-1.6.0_02-20070928-1715-linux-x86_64, compiled mode)

Re: settin JAVA_HOME...

Posted by Sandy <sn...@gmail.com>.
It's exactly as Steve says. Sorry, I should have been clearer in my last
e-mail. I have had really bad experiences with any other jdk (the default on
ubuntu, gcj, etc) than Sun's. So it may be easier to do that.

To stop all hadoop processes use:
bin/stop-all.sh

To start them, use:
bin/start-all.sh

Whenever you make a change in your conf/hadoop-env.sh or
conf/hadoop-site.xml files, you will need to restart hadoop using the above
two scripts.

All the best,

-SM