Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/08 21:27:46 UTC

What should we do with the 6x code line?

Solr and Lucene have had fixes backported to 6x (not 6.6) since the
7.0 label was set, most in Solr. Some of the fixes are useful "in the
field", I've back-ported some of them myself.

What objections are there to a 6.7 release? We'd always prefer to
release nothing except important bug fixes on a prior branch, but the
release process for 7.0 has taken some time and changes have
accumulated.

This might be the last, best time to wrap up 6x with a 6.7 as much as
we can before officially releasing 7.0.

What do people think?

Erick

Re: What should we do with the 6x code line?

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
If someone happens to step forward to be a release manager for 6.7,
someone (could be the same someone, or someone else) needs to also
step forward to do the Ref Guide for 6.7. I'm the one that usually
does most of the work for the Solr Ref Guide, and I don't have time in
the next 2 months to do 6.7 and 7.0 and my day job. If no one steps up
to be RM for the Ref Guide, then I'm -1 on a 6.7.

I also don't want it to disrupt the 7.0 release at all - if there's
even the slightest chance that starting 6.7 now will delay 7.0
further, I don't want to do 6.7.

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Well, unfortunately I'm headed off on a 10 day vacation next week.

Mostly I'm trying to make sure we make a conscious decision about 6.7
rather than just let it slide until after 7.0 then regret not putting
the effort in now.

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.