Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by JR...@penntraffic.com on 2007/03/21 22:53:10 UTC

Can't browse on new windows install

I saw many posts on the newgroup relating to this, but found no definitive
answers.   I installed svn, made the appropriate mods to httpd.conf.
Created the directory for the repos, ran svn create ..., imported a
project, then was able to snv list it.  I checked it out, made some
changes, and commited the change.  No problems.  When I attempt to browse
to the repos with Firefox, authentication works, then I get this in the
browser:

<D:error>
<C:error/>
<m:human-readable errcode="720003">
Could not open the requested SVN filesystem
</m:human-readable>
</D:error>

This in the error.log file:

[Wed Mar 21 18:37:52 2007] [error] [client 172.20.7.175] (20014)Error
string not specified yet: Can't open file 'h:\\svn\\format': The system
cannot find the path specified.
[Wed Mar 21 18:37:52 2007] [error] [client 172.20.7.175] Could not fetch
resource information.  [500, #0]
[Wed Mar 21 18:37:52 2007] [error] [client 172.20.7.175] Could not open
the requested SVN filesystem  [500, #720003]
[Wed Mar 21 18:37:52 2007] [error] [client 172.20.7.175] Could not open
the requested SVN filesystem  [500, #720003]

Info:

Apache/2.0.59 (Win32) SVN/1.4.3 DAV/2 configured -- resuming normal
operations
Windows XP Professional

httpd.conf:

LoadModule dav_svn_module "C:/Program Files/Subversion/bin/mod_dav_svn.so"
LoadModule authz_svn_module "C:/Program
Files/Subversion/bin/mod_authz_svn.so"

<Location /repos>
  DAV svn
  SVNPath h:\svn
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Subversion repository"
  AuthUserFile c:\JBR\etc\svn-auth-file
  Require valid-user
</Location>

Jeff

Re: Can't browse on new windows install

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 21, 2007, at 19:02, JRancier@penntraffic.com wrote:

> But one thing I did notice in my httpd.conf was the following:
>
> LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
> #LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
>
> Should I change those to load the other?

Mmm... no. That's fine the way it is. mod_dav_svn requires mod_dav,
so you should load that first. However, Subversion does not use or
care about dav_fs_module, so you don't need to load that unless you
plan to use it otherwise.

I think on my system, dav_fs_module may have been causing me some
unrelated problems... it's commented out for me as well, and my
Subversion works fine.

Re: Can't browse on new windows install

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 3/21/07, JRancier@penntraffic.com <JR...@penntraffic.com> wrote:

> OK.  I did get limited success when changing my repository from h: to c:  I imported the same project into both, modifying the httpd.conf, stopping and starting Apache2.  I worked from the command line, but not from the browser.
>  Here's was I saw:

Apache is a service that doesn't have access to your own user's mapped
network drives (mapped drive letters are scoped to the current user's
logon session).

If you really want to run with the repository on a network share, then
you need to use UNC notation (\\server\sharename\directory) and change
the Apache service to run as a network user that has permissions to
that share.

DJ

Re: Can't browse on new windows install

Posted by JR...@penntraffic.com.
Yes.  Thanks.  The only part that didn't work was having the repository on
the LAN.

Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>
Phone:
03/23/2007 04:33 PM

JRancier@penntraffic.com
cc
users@subversion.tigris.org
Subject

On Mar 23, 2007, at 07:52, J Rancier wrote:

>> > OK.  I did get limited success when changing my repository from h:
>> > to c:  I imported the same project into both, modifying the
>> > httpd.conf, stopping and starting Apache2.  I worked from the
>> > command line, but not from the browser.
>> >  Here's was I saw:
>> >
>> > CONFIGURED AS c:/svn:
>> >
>> > svn list file:///c:/svn/projects/kf_info
>> > bin/
>> > inc/
>> > src/
>> > tmp/
>> >
>> > svn list http://pmis055a/repos/projects/kf_info
>> > bin/
>> > inc/
>> > src/
>> > tmp/
>>
>> Looks good!
>>
>> So in what way does it not work from the web browser?
>
> It was a few things.  Between your posts and DJs as follows:
>
> -Apache is a service that doesn't have access to your own user's
> mapped
> -network drives (mapped drive letters are scoped to the current user's
> -logon session).
> -
> -If you really want to run with the repository on a network share,
> then
> -you need to use UNC notation (\\server\sharename\directory) and
> change
> -the Apache service to run as a network user that has permissions to
> -that share.
>
> I got things to work.  My entire goal was to have the repository on
> a system which was backed up daily.  After setting up Apache as DJ
> suggested, since the user is in my local domain, there's no startup
> scripts to map the network drives.  I just run a MS job one a day
> with the scheduler, which exports the repos to the LAN.
>
> Thanks Y'all.  BTW, the other useful link was http://
> httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/platform/windows.html

Sooo..... you're saying it does work in the web browser now and
you're all set?

function

Re: Can't browse on new windows install

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
> [...]

-Apache is a service that doesn't have access to your own user's mapped
-network drives (mapped drive letters are scoped to the current user's
-logon session).
-
-If you really want to run with the repository on a network share, then
-you need to use UNC notation (\\server\sharename\directory) and change
-the Apache service to run as a network user that has permissions to
-that share.

I got things to work.  My entire goal was to have the repository on a
system which was backed up daily.  After setting up Apache as DJ
suggested, since the user is in my local domain, there's no startup
scripts to map the network drives.  I just run a MS job one a day with the
scheduler, which exports the repos to the LAN.

Thanks Y'all.  BTW, the other useful link was

03/23/2007 01:19 AM

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 21, 2007, at 19:53, JRancier@penntraffic.com wrote:

> OK.  I did get limited success when changing my repository from h:
> to c:  I imported the same project into both, modifying the
> httpd.conf, stopping and starting Apache2.  I worked from the
> command line, but not from the browser.
>  Here's was I saw:
>
> CONFIGURED AS c:/svn:
>
> svn list file:///c:/svn/projects/kf_info
> bin/
> inc/
> src/
> tmp/
>
> svn list http://pmis055a/repos/projects/kf_info
> bin/
> inc/
> src/
> tmp/

Looks good!

So in what way does it not work from the web browser?

Re: Can't browse on new windows install

Posted by JR...@penntraffic.com.
OK.  I did get limited success when changing my repository from h: to c: I
imported the same project into both, modifying the httpd.conf, stopping
and starting Apache2.  I worked from the command line, but not from the
browser.
 Here's was I saw:

CONFIGURED AS c:/svn:

svn list file:///c:/svn/projects/kf_info
bin/
inc/
src/
tmp/

svn list http://pmis055a/repos/projects/kf_info
bin/
inc/
src/
tmp/

CONFIGURED AS h:/svn

svn list http://pmis055a/repos/projects/kf_info
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/projects/kf_info'
svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

svn list file:///h:/svn/projects/kf_info
bin/
inc/
src/
tmp/

Jeffery B. Rancier
Software Engineer, MIS
The Penn Traffic Company
1200 State Fair Boulevard, PO Box 4737
Syracuse NY 13221-4737

Tel (315) 461-2471
Fax (315) 461-2402
jrancier@penntraffic.com Last modified: Fri Mar 09 09:37:42 Eastern
Standard Time 2007

JRancier@penntraffic.com
Phone:
03/21/2007 08:02 PM

Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>
cc
users@subversion.tigris.org
Subject
Re: Can't browse on new windows install

Thanks again Ryan.  See below:

But one thing I did notice in my httpd.conf was the following:

LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
#LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so

Should I change those to load the other?

Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>
Phone:
03/21/2007 07:48 PM

On Mar 21, 2007, at 18:31, J. Rancier wrote:

> > I saw many posts on the newgroup relating to this, but found no
> > definitive answers.   I installed svn, made the appropriate mods to
> > httpd.conf.  Created the directory for the repos, ran svn
> > create ..., imported a project, then was able to snv list it.  I
> > checked it out, made some changes, and commited the change.  No
> > problems.
>
> Where is the repository created on disk?
>
> ***** Yes.  It's on a Microsoft LAN drive.

Well I meant: where on the disk is it? What "svnadmin create" command
did you originally run? Did you "svnadmin create h:\svn" or did you
"svnadmin create h:\svn\something"? But you answered this below.

I don't know what a Microsoft LAN drive is. Sometimes, storing a
repository on a networked drive causes weird problems. If we're
unable to resolve this, you may want to try creating the repository
on a disk local to the server. See if it works then.

****** Nothing else has problems with the LAN.  ???

> Via what protocol are you able to access it successfully? file:///?
> svn://? http://?
>
> ****** file:/// Should I be able to access the repos from the
> command line using http?

Since you have an Apache 2 server set up and running, yes, you
should. Though at this point in time, since you're seeing errors in
Firefox, you'll likely see the same error from the svn command line
program.

***** Hmm.  Maybe a bit more info.  Here's what it looks like from command
line:

svn list http://localhost/repos
Authentication realm: <http://localhost:80> Subversion repository
Password for 'pmis055': **********
Authentication realm: <http://localhost:80> Subversion repository
Username: jeff
Password for 'jeff': **********
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos'
svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

Via what file:/// URL were you able to import into the repository?

***** h:/svn/projects/kf_info.  Here's what the svn list looks like with
the file URI:

svn list file:///h:/svn/projects/kf_info
bin/
inc/
src/
tmp/

> > When I attempt to browse to the repos with Firefox, authentication
> > works, then I get this in the browser:
> >
> > <D:error>
> > <C:error/>
> > <m:human-readable errcode="720003">
> > Could not open the requested SVN filesystem
> > </m:human-readable>
> > </D:error>
> >
> > This in the error.log file:
> >
> > [Wed Mar 21 18:37:52 2007] [error] [client 172.20.7.175] (20014)
> > Error string not specified yet: Can't open file 'h:\\svn\\format':
> > The system cannot find the path specified.
> > [Wed Mar 21 18:37:52 2007] [error] [client 172.20.7.175] Could not
> > fetch resource information.  [500, #0]
> > [Wed Mar 21 18:37:52 2007] [error] [client 172.20.7.175] Could not
> > open the requested SVN filesystem  [500, #720003]
> > [Wed Mar 21 18:37:52 2007] [error] [client 172.20.7.175] Could not
> > open the requested SVN filesystem  [500, #720003]
>
> Your Apache seems to be configured to look for the repository h:\svn.
> Is that where the repository is? (You at one point ran "svnadmin
> create h:\svn"?)
>
> ****** Yes.  And yes.

Ok, so your repository is h:\svn. Apache is looking for the file h:
\svn\format. Does that file exist? Every repository will contain a
format file. Can you read the file contents if you open it in an
editor like, say, Notepad? In a new Subversion 1.4.x repository, the
format file should contain the number 5.

****** Yes, the file is there, h:\svn\format, read-only, 2 bytes long,
contains a '5'.

> If so, does Apache have permission to read it?
>
> ****** That I'll need a hand with.  Is that via file permissions?
> Or in httpd.conf?

I was thinking of file permissions, but I was thinking from a Unix
standpoint. I'm afraid I have no experience with file permissions on
Windows.

******* Everyone can read it.

> Or is your repository in fact in a directory inside h:\svn, like h:
> \svn\foo (you ran "svnadmin create h:\svn\foo")? If so, and you want
> to have several repositories, then you will want to configure Apache
> with SVNParentPath h:\svn, not SVNPath h:\svn.
>
> ****** It's in the directory, h:\svn.  The LAN's my only method of
> backing up the repos.

function

Re: Can't browse on new windows install

Posted by JR...@penntraffic.com.
That didn't do it.  Still plugging along.

Thanks again Ryan.  See below:

> [...]

editor like, say, Notepad? In a new Subversion 1.4.x repository, the
format file should contain the number 5.

****** Yes, the file is there, h:\svn\format, read-only, 2 bytes long,
contains a '5'.

> If so, does Apache have permission to read it?
>
> ****** That I'll need a hand with.  Is that via file permissions?
> Or in httpd.conf?

I was thinking of file permissions, but I was thinking from a Unix
standpoint. I'm afraid I have no experience with file permissions on
Windows.

******* Everyone can read it.

> Or is your repository in fact in a directory inside h:\svn, like h:
> \svn\foo (you ran "svnadmin create h:\svn\foo")? If so, and you want
> to have several repositories, then you will want to configure Apache
> with SVNParentPath h:\svn, not SVNPath h:\svn.

function

> [...]

editor like, say, Notepad? In a new Subversion 1.4.x repository, the
format file should contain the number 5.

****** Yes, the file is there, h:\svn\format, read-only, 2 bytes long,
contains a '5'.

> If so, does Apache have permission to read it?
>
> ****** That I'll need a hand with.  Is that via file permissions?
> Or in httpd.conf?

I was thinking of file permissions, but I was thinking from a Unix
standpoint. I'm afraid I have no experience with file permissions on
Windows.

******* Everyone can read it.

> Or is your repository in fact in a directory inside h:\svn, like h:
> \svn\foo (you ran "svnadmin create h:\svn\foo")? If so, and you want
> to have several repositories, then you will want to configure Apache
> with SVNParentPath h:\svn, not SVNPath h:\svn.

function

Re: Can't browse on new windows install

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
> [...]

\svn\format. Does that file exist? Every repository will contain a
format file. Can you read the file contents if you open it in an
editor like, say, Notepad? In a new Subversion 1.4.x repository, the
format file should contain the number 5.

> If so, does Apache have permission to read it?
>
> ****** That I'll need a hand with.  Is that via file permissions?
> Or in httpd.conf?

I was thinking of file permissions, but I was thinking from a Unix
standpoint. I'm afraid I have no experience with file permissions on
Windows.

> Or is your repository in fact in a directory inside h:\svn, like h:
> \svn\foo (you ran "svnadmin create h:\svn\foo")? If so, and you want
> to have several repositories, then you will want to configure Apache
> with SVNParentPath h:\svn, not SVNPath h:\svn.

Thanks for the response.  Please find my responses below.

Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>
Phone:
03/21/2007 07:21 PM

On Mar 21, 2007, at 17:53, JRancier@penntraffic.com wrote:

> [...]

****** That I'll need a hand with.  Is that via file permissions?  Or in
httpd.conf?

Or is your repository in fact in a directory inside h:\svn, like h:
\svn\foo (you ran "svnadmin create h:\svn\foo")? If so, and you want
to have several repositories, then you will want to configure Apache
with SVNParentPath h:\svn, not SVNPath h:\svn.

****** It's in the directory, h:\svn.  The LAN's my only method of backing
up the repos.

> Info:
>
> Apache/2.0.59 (Win32) SVN/1.4.3 DAV/2 configured -- resuming normal
> operations
> Windows XP Professional
>
> httpd.conf:
>
> LoadModule dav_svn_module "C:/Program Files/Subversion/bin/
> mod_dav_svn.so"
> LoadModule authz_svn_module "C:/Program Files/Subversion/bin/

FYI: I believe forward slashes are preferred in Apache configuration
files, even when specifying Windows paths. Not that that's probably
relevant to the current problem...

****** Done.

Re: Can't browse on new windows install

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.