Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sagar Naik <sn...@attributor.com> on 2008/12/18 03:29:37 UTC

DiskUsage ('du -sk') probably hangs Datanode

I see createBlockException and Abandoning block quite often
When I check the datanode, they are running. I can browse file system
from that datanode:50075
However, I also notice tht a  du forked off from the DN. This 'du' run
anywhere from 6mins to 30 mins.

During this time no logs are generated . DN appears in S1 state and the
'du' in D state.

Is it possible tht jvm has bug or hdd is bad.
I m using "/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_07/bin/java" and planing to move onto 11

However, I start noticing this after DFS is 50% (on avg) full

Pl help me with some pointers

Hadoop version : .18.1

-Sagar

Re: DiskUsage ('du -sk') probably hangs Datanode

Posted by Sagar Naik <sn...@attributor.com>.
Brian Bockelman wrote:
> Hey Sagar,
>
> If the 'du' is in the "D" state, then that probably means bad things
> for your hardware.
>
> I recommend looking in dmesg and /var/log/messages for anything
> interesting, as well as perform a hard-drive diagnostic test (may be
> as simple as a SMART tests) to see if there's an issue.
>
> I can't say for sure, but the 'du' is probably not hanging the
> Datanode; it's probably a symptom of larger problems.

Thanks Brian
I will start SMART tests
Pl tell me what direction I should look in case of "larger problems".

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hey Sagar,