Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/12 22:14:00 UTC

Renaming ServiceMix Runtime

It seems there is some confusion with the name "ServiceMix Runtime" in that
people tends to think it's actually the JBI container.
What about renaming it to  "ServiceMix MicroKernel" or something along those
lines to remove this confusion (thanks to James for the name proposal) ?

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Renaming ServiceMix Runtime

Posted by Lance Finn Helsten <he...@xmission.com>.
+1

On 12 Jan 2008, at 14:14, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> It seems there is some confusion with the name "ServiceMix Runtime"
> in that
> people tends to think it's actually the JBI container.
> What about renaming it to  "ServiceMix MicroKernel" or something
> along those
> lines to remove this confusion (thanks to James for the name
> proposal) ?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Lance Finn Helsten
helsten@xmission.com

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Re: Renaming ServiceMix Runtime

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
It seems we have a small consensus.  If there is no more input on this
thread,
I'll start the renaming process soon.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 12, 2008 2:14 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems there is some confusion with the name "ServiceMix Runtime" in that
> people tends to think it's actually the JBI container.
> What about renaming it to  "ServiceMix MicroKernel" or something along those
> lines to remove this confusion (thanks to James for the name proposal) ?

This is a good idea because the runtime is geared to be generically
reused by other projects. Besides, the concept of a microkernel is
understood by a wider audience. But I think it's up to us to start
creating diagrams to explain it all so that folks understand what's
going on.

Guillaume, we should start with the diagram you created on Boston last
week and build on it.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: Renaming ServiceMix Runtime

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 12/01/2008, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems there is some confusion with the name "ServiceMix Runtime" in that
> people tends to think it's actually the JBI container.
> What about renaming it to  "ServiceMix MicroKernel" or something along those
> lines to remove this confusion (thanks to James for the name proposal) ?

Yeah - I'm liking that better, as folks might get confused if they use
or read about ServiceMix Runtime and don't see JBI/NMR and think
ServiceMix is moving away from JBI or something. The "MicroKernel"
name sounds a bit more descriptive - being the kernel rather than the
actual services like JBI / NMR / JAX-WS etc.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration