Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Daniel S. Wilkerson" <ds...@cs.berkeley.edu> on 2006/10/11 04:48:39 UTC

tools enabling editing of svn dumpfiles by mapping to a directory and back

I just wrote some Subversion dumpfile utilities that I thought you
might want to know about.

I found that I needed to hack on the history of a Subversion
repository, but this is impossible in its raw form.  Of course
Subversion will dump out its state to a "dump file", but the format
quotes embedded files with embedded length fields, making the file
hard to edit and impossible to patch.  However if exploded to a
directory, the *filesystem* is maintaining the counts for you and
patch works fine.

Therefore using my utilities you can 1) dump out the svn history, 2)
convert to a directory, 3) patch or edit it, 4) convert back to a
dumpfile, and 5) reload that dumpfile into a new svn repository.  You
might also prefer using my simple_patch script as it doesn't do as
much as the standard patch, such as ask you questions when the file it
is trying to patch is missing.

All of these scripts are on my homepage: www.cs.berkeley.edu/~dsw/
We may move them to a general tools project at some point in the
future.

Daniel Wilkerson

Re: tools enabling editing of svn dumpfiles by mapping to a directory andback

Posted by "Daniel S. Wilkerson" <ds...@cs.berkeley.edu>.
I never got a reply to my email quoted below, so perhaps my little tool
is not interesting, but I did just discover your page for Subversion
utilities: subversion.tigris.org/links.html ;  I like to think my tool
might be useful to other subversion users; could I get you to make a link
to it?  I could put it on its own page if you would rather not link to my
homepage.