Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Rogier Peters <rm...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/18 21:45:08 UTC

Generating pipeline's content to xml

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to generate a pipeline's content for a given url,
instead of the result of its execution. Basically I'd be asking cocoon:
what pipeline would you use for this url?

In other words: the url:
http://localhost:8080/hello.html.sitemap

would have to yield the response:
<map:match pattern="hello.html">
	<map:generate src="docs/samples/hello-page.xml"/>
	<map:transform src="stylesheets/page/simple-page2html.xsl"/>
	<map:serialize type="html"/>
</map:match>

I realize this example would be easily solved by xls-transformation of
the sitemap, but afaik this isn't possible for more complex mappings.

I'm guessing the best/quickest/only solution would be to write a custom
generator for this. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Rogier Peters

RE: Generating pipeline's content to xml

Posted by Rogier Peters <rm...@yahoo.com>.
Carsten, Sylvain

Thanks for the reply, it gave me some food for thought.
<snip>
> So what's the need for this view ? I guess it is for
> debugging/development purposes. And then, the best tool is logs : the
> treeprocessor engine outputs some info messages for matchers
> that were
> successful (indicating the pattern and location in the sitemap). We
> could generalize this kind of logs to all elements to precisely track
> the path taken by the sitemap to handle a request.
</snip>
Actually, it's for a content editor that needs information about the
kind of xml it
is editing, and preferably display the editable page in the same way the
non-editable
page would be displayed.
My idea was to somehow distill it from the pipeline info, but having
read your replies,
I guess it's a little more complicated.
For now, I've decided to go for an editable cocoon-view of a page, see
if I can build the
editor around that.

And.. Carsten, good luck with your hand

Rogier