Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/11/16 06:14:10 UTC

Re: Request for clarification on recent commits on the Avalon documentation

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:42, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>  >   Removed unused stuff
>
> I'm surprised to see such important commits about the Avalon framework
> documentation be done without prior discussion or consent on the list.

How is removing unused stuff "important" ? This is just cleaning up stuff that
you should have done.

> Are other committers aware that this conversion to Forrest has been
> decided, given the past discussions about doc building?

If there are objections then they will be raised as per lazy consensus. See
"Product Changes" in http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

I would not expect there to be any objections as I was the only one who
objected last time.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Fools ignore complexity.  Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it.  Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept. 1982

Re: Request for clarification on recent commits on the Avalon documentation

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:35, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:42, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>Are other committers aware that this conversion to Forrest has been
> >>decided, given the past discussions about doc building?
> >
> > If there are objections then they will be raised as per lazy consensus.
> > See "Product Changes" in http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html
>
> See Short and Long Term Plans.
> A commitment to a document generation system will affect all of us in
> the future, and IMHO should have been notified.

No such commitment has been made yet.

> > I would not expect there to be any objections as I was the only one who
> > objected last time.
>
> IIRC we had come to the conclusion (@see Berin's tentative of using
> both anakia and Cocoon for the same docs) that we would stick to a DTD
> and use that regardless the docs build system used.

You don't recall correctly.

> Actually, I'm in favor of the conversion to Forrest, just wanted a
> clarification, given the past discussions, of a commitment to a new doc
> build system that wasn't discussed.

When I go to merge it in I will see if anyone objects then.

Glad to see you have stepped up your behaviour already.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.
Actually, you're just horny. It doesn't mean you like women any more at
twenty-one than you did at ten.                --Jules Feiffer (cartoonist)

Re: Request for clarification on recent commits on the Avalon documentation

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:42, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>Are other committers aware that this conversion to Forrest has been
>>decided, given the past discussions about doc building?
>
> If there are objections then they will be raised as per lazy consensus. See
> "Product Changes" in http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

See Short and Long Term Plans.
A commitment to a document generation system will affect all of us in
the future, and IMHO should have been notified.

> I would not expect there to be any objections as I was the only one who
> objected last time.

IIRC we had come to the conclusion (@see Berin's tentative of using
both anakia and Cocoon for the same docs) that we would stick to a DTD
and use that regardless the docs build system used.

Actually, I'm in favor of the conversion to Forrest, just wanted a
clarification, given the past discussions, of a commitment to a new doc
build system that wasn't discussed.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -