Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Brendan Cheng <cc...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/18 10:55:56 UTC

Is there a event model to listen the change of a dependent cell of a formula get update?

Hi,

I have been searching a way to listen the effective changes when a
corresponding cell get updated.  That require all dependent cells get
updated when let say a formula cell updated.  I'm not quite fully sure if
the current event model of POI works in my case and if so, how.  It seems
to me that the purpose of POI Excel only do read, write and modified the
file of excel file in java.  I need to modify some logic of POI and build a
GUI on top of it.   Can any one give me some advices?

Brendan

Re: Is there a event model to listen the change of a dependent cell of a formula get update?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On 18/11/12 09:55, Brendan Cheng wrote:
> I have been searching a way to listen the effective changes when a
> corresponding cell get updated.  That require all dependent cells get
> updated when let say a formula cell updated.  I'm not quite fully sure if
> the current event model of POI works in my case and if so, how.

The simplest thing is probably to run the formula evaluator against all
cells once you're done making changes to the file

The formula evaluator will keep track of what cells depend on what, and
cache results internally. You can use this to make changes as you go,
and only re-evaluate what's needed, but if you go down this route you
need to tell the formula evaluator about changed cells so it can check.
There's some documentation on the poi website about this which ought to
get you started

Nick