Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/16 22:55:22 UTC

Graphic Alt text (for accessibility) does not appear in Firefox (does appear in IE) - Derby-1842

For Derby-1842, I updated the alternate text (aka Alt text). The Alt
text appears when you hover your mouse pointer over a graphic image in
Internet Explorer but not in Firefox.

Does anyone know why?

Laura Stewart

Re: Graphic Alt text (for accessibility) does not appear in Firefox (does appear in IE) - Derby-1842

Posted by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM>.
> On 1/17/07, Bernt M. Johnsen <Be...@sun.com> wrote:
> >The HTML standard does not require a browser to show the alt text
> >unless the image cannot be rendered:
> >
> >      User agents must render alternate text when they cannot support
> >      images, they cannot support a certain image type or when they
> >      are configured not to display images. (HTML 4.01)
> >
> >Firefox is a graphical browser and as such does not ahev to display
> >it, while w3m and lynx are text only browsers and "must" render the
> >text.
> >

> Are you saying that if I had a screen reader (for people unable to see
> the screen, which is why the alt text is added to the image in the
> first place) that the text would be read by the screen reader, even
> though it doesn't appear when I mouse over the text?

I have no experience with screen readers, so I can't answer the
question. In Firefox, you may see the text by right-clicking the image
and choose "Properties", or if you disable image load, the alt-text is
shown instead. Wether that is useful for the visually impaired or not,
I have no idea. My point was just that Firefox was standards
compliant.

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: Graphic Alt text (for accessibility) does not appear in Firefox (does appear in IE) - Derby-1842

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Kim Haase wrote:
> According to our style guide, yes, screen readers do read the alt text.
> The style guide also says that alt text must be 150 characters or fewer
> in length. For a description longer than 150 characters, use the
> longdesc attribute of the img tag (in HTML; seems to be longdescref in
> DITA); this is also read by screen readers.

It sounds like testing accessibility with normal browsers might not be a
sure approach. Does anyone know of any open source screen readers?

 -jean

Posted by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:
>> For Derby-1842, I updated the alternate text (aka Alt text). The Alt
>> text appears when you hover your mouse pointer over a graphic image in
>> Internet Explorer but not in Firefox.

[snip]

> Firefox is a graphical browser and as such does not ahev to display
> it, while w3m and lynx are text only browsers and "must" render the
> text.

Unless, of course, you configure firefox not to load pictures automatically, in
which case it does display the Alt text instead (though still not on mouseover),
as it should.

--
John

Re: Graphic Alt text (for accessibility) does not appear in Firefox (does appear in IE) - Derby-1842

Posted by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Laura Stewart wrote:
>> For Derby-1842, I updated the alternate text (aka Alt text). The Alt
>> text appears when you hover your mouse pointer over a graphic image in
>> Internet Explorer but not in Firefox.
>>
>> Does anyone know why?
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1842
>>

> A google search popped up this reference which says firefox uses the alt
> tag as intended:
> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_img.asp
>
> Look at the section titled "Mozilla Firefox and the alt Attribute." It
> says "title" enables mouseover comments, so I tried that with one of
> your files and it worked (mouseover now displays the info); however, it
> truncates everything past the first &#10; .
>
> On Safari, mouseover displays nothing when "alt" is used, but shows the
> complete text when "title" is used.

So it sounds like the tags should be used as intended.

alt for the alternative text
title for a title of the image.

In firefox one can see the alternate text by right clicking on the image
and selecting properties.

Dan.

Re: Graphic Alt text (for accessibility) does not appear in Firefox (does appear in IE) - Derby-1842

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.