Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2004/11/26 15:15:10 UTC

A few thoughts about Avalon, Excalibur and future Avalon components ...

Hi folks,

as an Avalon newbie I had a look at Excalibur/Merlin/ECM/Phoenix and
only found a few available services on the webpage. The point is that
there are a few more service out there ...

+) Torque can be run as Avalon component
+) there is a bunch of Avalon services at Fulcrum (see
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/fulcrum/)
+) there were the Cornerstone services (what happened to them)

Would it be a good idea to add a few links to known, good Avalon
Services - plus a few comments which servics currently runs in which
container ?! A not so contrieved example - there is currently work going
on for Avalon Groovy Service as part of Fulcrum and nobody of your
community would know about it. And the communication it is not getting
better in the light of Metro ... :-(

At the end of the day I think the best reason to start with an Avalon
container is to reuse the existing services ... :-)

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: A few thoughts about Avalon, Excalibur and future Avalon components ...

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@managesoft.com>.
Hi Siegfried,

Thanks for the links - I also wasn't aware of the Fulcrum services either.

The cornerstone components are in Excalibur SVN now, they were
transferred across from Avalon a little while back.

I'd be +1 to add some external links to the Excalibur website pointing
poeple to the other services available.

Gang, what do you think?

Cheers,

Marcus

Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> as an Avalon newbie I had a look at Excalibur/Merlin/ECM/Phoenix and
> only found a few available services on the webpage. The point is that
> there are a few more service out there ...
>
> +) Torque can be run as Avalon component
> +) there is a bunch of Avalon services at Fulcrum (see
> http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/fulcrum/)
> +) there were the Cornerstone services (what happened to them)
>
> Would it be a good idea to add a few links to known, good Avalon
> Services - plus a few comments which servics currently runs in which
> container ?! A not so contrieved example - there is currently work going
> on for Avalon Groovy Service as part of Fulcrum and nobody of your
> community would know about it. And the communication it is not getting
> better in the light of Metro ... :-(
>
> At the end of the day I think the best reason to start with an Avalon
> container is to reuse the existing services ... :-)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Siegfried Goeschl

      ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft Corporation
      $       o_)$$$:   Frankfurt am Main, Germany
            \_&&&&'
           &&&&.
     &&&&&&&: