Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Daniel Hertanu <da...@unixmob.com> on 2013/10/19 13:09:14 UTC

VM migration from Xen OSS to CloudStack with XenServer

Hi

I realize this question may be more related to Xen OSS/ XenServer however
all the suggestions I found to my problem implies working on the Xen server
while my Xen server is managed by CloudStack so a stopped VM in CloudStack
doesn't even show up on the XeServer.

I have to migrate a VM (installed with HVM drivers) running on Xen OSS. I
grabbed the whole logical volume in a file, mounted the file, did some
changes to grub configuration file and /et/fstab to refer to the new
devices names (xvda vs. sda), then I converted this raw image in VHD format
using Virtualbox tools. Finally I imported the VHD file as template in
CloudStack then I deployed a new VM based on this template. The VM starts
then shuts down quickly but using xenconsole, I was able to see the console
messages (please see bellow). Anyone has any idea what I'm missing? Thanks

Daniel

Xen virtual console successfully installed as xvc0
Event-channel device installed.
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 50MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
r 0.99.newide
usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
PNP: No PS/2 controller found. Probing ports directly.
i8042.c: No controller found.
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
md: md driver 0.90.3 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
md: bitmap version 4.39
TCP bic registered
Initializing IPsec netlink socket
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/51760
XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/51712
XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vif/0
Initalizing network drop monitor service
Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 506k
Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting
Mounting proc filesystem
Mounting sysfs filesystem
Creating /dev
Creating block device nodes.
USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v3.0
Registering block device major 202
 xvdd: xvdd1 xvdd2
 xvda: xvda1 xvda2
per: ioctl: 4.11.6-ioctl (2011-02-18) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
device-mapper: dm-raid45: initialized v0.2594l
Scanning and configuring dmraid supported devices
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

Re: VM migration from Xen OSS to CloudStack with XenServer

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
H Daniel,

looks like a typo. Any luck so far?