Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com> on 2016/08/12 23:45:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release cadence and EOL

Forking off this discussion from 2.6.5 release thread. Junping and Chris T
have brought up important concerns regarding too many concurrent releases
and the lack of EOL for our releases.

First up, it would be nice to hear from others on our releases having the
notion of EOL and other predictability is indeed of interest.

Secondly, I believe EOLs work better in conjunction with a predictable
cadence. Given past discussions on this and current periods between our
minor releases, I would like to propose a minor release on the latest major
line every 6 months and a maintenance release on the latest minor release
every 2 months.

Eager to hear others thoughts.

Thanks
Karthik

Re: [DISCUSS] Release cadence and EOL

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
I am certainly in favor of doing a vote for the same.

Along with that, we should likely make some progress on the logistic issues
with doing a release that Andrew raised.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
Happy new year!

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
Happy new year!

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
Happy new year!

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
Happy new year!

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.
Thanks Karthik for opening a long overdue discussion on the release cadence
and EOL.

As for the EOL, I think we need to weigh between the benefit for the users
and the maintenance cost for the community. I'd also love to find out what
other (major) open source projects do in terms of the EOL.

Here is just an idea to get started. How about "a minor release line is
EOLed 2 years after it is released or there are 2 newer minor releases,
whichever is sooner. The community reserves the right to extend or shorten
the life of a release line if there is a good reason to do so."

The idea is to cap the maintenance at 2 years first, but also to consider
the actual alternatives. If there were 2 more minor releases, I think they
should be good alternatives for users to upgrade. That would also cap the
number of simultaneous maintenance lines at 2. I purposefully didn't
include major releases (e.g. 3.0.0) in this as it would take a much longer
time for users to upgrade from a previous major release.

Finally, I think it'd be good to have an escape clause for this so that the
community can make a collective decision to extend certain release lines if
it is deemed better for the community.

This is just a starting point for discussion. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sangjin

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.