Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Franc Carter <fr...@sirca.org.au> on 2013/08/06 08:48:15 UTC

Question about 'duplicate' columns

I've been thinking through some cases that I can see happening at some
point and thought I'd ask on the list to see if my understanding is correct.

Say a bunch of columns have been loaded 'a long time ago', i.e long enough
in the past that they have been compacted. My understanding is that if some
these columns get reloaded then they are likely to sit in additional
sstables until the larger sstable is called up for compaction, which might
be a while.

The case that springs to mind is filling small gaps in data by doing bulk
loads around the gap to make sure that the gap is filled.

Have I understood correctly ?

thanks

--

*Franc Carter* | Systems architect | Sirca Ltd
 <ma...@sirca.org.au>

franc.carter@sirca.org.au | www.sirca.org.au

Tel: +61 2 8355 2514

Level 4, 55 Harrington St, The Rocks NSW 2000

PO Box H58, Australia Square, Sydney NSW 1215

Re: Question about 'duplicate' columns

Posted by Franc Carter <fr...@sirca.org.au>.
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>wrote:

> Yes. If you overwrite much older data with new data both "versions" of the
> column will remain on disk until compaction get's to work on both fragments
> of the row.

thanks

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.