Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/10 00:10:11 UTC

Move TrustSelfSignedStrategy and TrustAllStrategy from HttpClient 5 to HttpCore 5

Hi All,

I would like to move TrustSelfSignedStrategy and TrustAllStrategy from
HttpClient 5 to HttpCore 5.

The reason is that the SslContextBuilder is in HttpCore and that is the
most public place TrustStrategy implementations are used (in my use cases
at least.)

Furthermore, when I want to use TrustSelfSignedStrategy and
TrustAllStrategy I have to drag in HttpClient when that is in fact the only
two classes I need.

Thoughts?

Gary

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Move TrustSelfSignedStrategy and TrustAllStrategy from HttpClient 5 to HttpCore 5

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 May 2017 at 17:34, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 12:49 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2017-05-09 at 17:10 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I would like to move TrustSelfSignedStrategy and TrustAllStrategy
>> > from
>> > HttpClient 5 to HttpCore 5.
>> >
>> > The reason is that the SslContextBuilder is in HttpCore and that is
>> > the
>> > most public place TrustStrategy implementations are used (in my use
>> > cases
>> > at least.)
>> >
>> > Furthermore, when I want to use TrustSelfSignedStrategy and
>> > TrustAllStrategy I have to drag in HttpClient when that is in fact
>> > the only
>> > two classes I need.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>> >
>> > Gary
>>
>> Why? Those are one line implementations. Under normal circumstances
>> people should not even be using those classes.

+1

> Testing is a 'normal circumstance' for me and customers and using a self
> signed certificate makes testing possible on any server anywhere.
>
> These classes should not be used _in production_ for certain. But even
> them, some customers can play fast and loose on their private networks to
> get things off the ground.
>
> So in my mind, all of this makes for normal circumstances.

I disagree.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.