Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> on 2010/06/05 00:19:56 UTC

[ApacheDS] Modules core-constants and core-avl

Hi,

two other small modules we have are core-constants and core-avl.

I think we can move the 4 relevant files of core-contants to core-api
and delete core-constants.

For core-avl I'm not sure if we should merge it into another module or
keep it as its own module. It is only used by the AVL store which is now
part of xdbm-partition, so the AVL classes could be moved there. Another
option is to move the AVL classes to core-api.

WDYT?

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: [ApacheDS] Modules core-constants and core-avl

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 6/5/10 10:45 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Kiran Ayyagari schrieb:
>

>> I would say let this be present too, we have some more constants files
>> like ConfigSchemaConstants
>> and the upcoming PolicyConfigConstatnts(just to make finding a AT and OC easily)
>> will move them there.
>> wdyt?
>>

> Ok, let's keep it.

One more info about this module : it was created 4 years ago to gather
all the constants we were using all over the code. I'm quite sure we are
still using such constants, and we have to finish cleaning the code from
such constants, but it takes time.

However, when I see classes like SystemSchemaConstants or
CoreSchemaConstants cotaining just one single constant declaration, I
think we can do better than keeping them around...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: [ApacheDS] Modules core-constants and core-avl

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Kiran Ayyagari schrieb:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What about core-constants? Is it ok to move the 4 interfaces to core-api?
>>>

>> Hmmmm....
>>
>> On one side, it's core-API, supposed to be the API for the core, on the
>> other side, it's good to know that we have a place where we store all the
>> constants?
>>
>> Ok, really, it's not such a big deal. Would it be a vote, I would cast a 0.
>>
> I would say let this be present too, we have some more constants files
> like ConfigSchemaConstants
> and the upcoming PolicyConfigConstatnts(just to make finding a AT and OC easily)
> will move them there.
> wdyt?

Ok, let's keep it.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/5/10 10:26 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:

>> What about core-constants? Is it ok to move the 4 interfaces to core-api?
>>

> Hmmmm....
>
> On one side, it's core-API, supposed to be the API for the core, on the
> other side, it's good to know that we have a place where we store all the
> constants?
>
> Ok, really, it's not such a big deal. Would it be a vote, I would cast a 0.
I would say let this be present too, we have some more constants files
like ConfigSchemaConstants
and the upcoming PolicyConfigConstatnts(just to make finding a AT and OC easily)
will move them there.
wdyt?

Kiran Ayyagari

Re: [ApacheDS] Modules core-constants and core-avl

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> On 6/5/10 6:57 AM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Stefan Seelmann<se...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> two other small modules we have are core-constants and core-avl.
>>>
>>> I think we can move the 4 relevant files of core-contants to core-api
>>> and delete core-constants.

What about core-constants? Is it ok to move the 4 interfaces to core-api?

>>> For core-avl I'm not sure if we should merge it into another module or
>>> keep it as its own module. It is only used by the AVL store which is now
>>> part of xdbm-partition, so the AVL classes could be moved there. Another
>>> option is to move the AVL classes to core-api.
>>>
>> I would prefer to keep core-avl separate, just in case if somebody
>> wants to reuse or want to work/tweak
>> this code
>>
> I agree. avl-partition is one thing,core-avl is just a set of classes
> implementig a data structure. It would be cool to have a commons-avl...

Ok, let's keep core-avl.

Re: [ApacheDS] Modules core-constants and core-avl

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.