Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/03/01 03:53:36 UTC

Re: JSR 291 : OSGi

I find this JSR very confusing.  Why is the package name
org.osgi.framework?  Is this just a rubber stamp for a spec not
developed within the JCP?

-dain

Re: JSR 291 : OSGi

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote, On 3/1/2006 9:27 AM:
>

>> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>
>>> I'm curious if this means that the OSGi spec committee outside of the
>>> JCP will shutdown.  Otherwise I expect we will be rubber stamping
>>> everyone's outside specs.
>>

>> The answer to the org.osgi question was that yes, the idea is to
>> preserve the existing namespace, similar to org.omg...
>>
>> And I don't think that OSGi will shutdown.  I think that the purpose
>> here is to have the JCP produce a statement regarding how OSGi is used
>> in a standard way.
>>

>>> I am concerned about any JSR or any path to a JSR that subverts the
>>> community process.
>>

>> I'm not sure what is subverted here.  There are a bunch of things,
>> such as webservices, for which the JCP does a similar thing - namely
>> define the official API to work with the technology...
>

> Your analogy does not hold.  The difference is that OSGi _already_ has a
> Java API spec.  WS-* was in need of Java APIs, hence the need for JCP
> participation.

Yes, I realize the difference.  Hoever, a difference is that unlike WS*,
there is a two-way relationship here - because if a JSR did JCP-ize the
OSGi interface, it at least should modify the control point for the
technology to where the JCP community has a say in future evolution.

> I do not understand where the value add is in bringing in the
> participation of the JCP.

Well, it's a good question.  The real answer will come from IBM, of course.

The only value I see is that the JCP is a group we know and participate
in, and the OSGi Federation isn't, and we have an apache community
(felix) that is  interested in this, as they actually are implementing OSGi.

geir

Re: JSR 291 : OSGi

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote, On 3/1/2006 9:27 AM:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> I'm curious if this means that the OSGi spec committee outside of the
>> JCP will shutdown.  Otherwise I expect we will be rubber stamping
>> everyone's outside specs.
>

> The answer to the org.osgi question was that yes, the idea is to
> preserve the existing namespace, similar to org.omg...
>
> And I don't think that OSGi will shutdown.  I think that the purpose
> here is to have the JCP produce a statement regarding how OSGi is used
> in a standard way.
>

>> I am concerned about any JSR or any path to a JSR that subverts the
>> community process.
>

> I'm not sure what is subverted here.  There are a bunch of things,
> such as webservices, for which the JCP does a similar thing - namely
> define the official API to work with the technology...

Your analogy does not hold.  The difference is that OSGi _already_ has a
Java API spec.  WS-* was in need of Java APIs, hence the need for JCP
participation.

I do not understand where the value add is in bringing in the
participation of the JCP.

Regards,
Alan

Re: JSR 291 : OSGi

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Mar 1, 2006, at 11:12 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>>
>>> The answer to the org.osgi question was that yes, the idea is to
>>> preserve the existing namespace, similar to org.omg...
>>>
>>> And I don't think that OSGi will shutdown.  I think that the
>>> purpose here is to have the JCP produce a statement regarding how
>>> OSGi is used in a standard way.

>>> I'm not sure what is subverted here.  There are a bunch of
>>> things, such as webservices, for which the JCP does a similar
>>> thing - namely define the official API to work with the
>>> technology...
>>>
>>> Given the current state of the community process in the JCP, how
>>> do you see this subverting it?
>> As the US Supreme Court says "I know it when I see it".  FWIU,
>> there are only two places where the JCP deferred to an external
>> group CORBA and WebServices.  In both cases, these are well
>> established standards bodies, and they the specs are cross
>> language. Again FWIU, OSGi is purely Java focused and was not an
>> established specification group when it started.
>
> Nor is it now, is it?

No offense to the OSGi people, but I would say no.  If you walk up to
the average Java developer and ask them if they have heard of the JCP
or W3C, I would expect them to say yep.  If you asked about the OSGi
Alliance, I doubt it would be the same level.

>>> Are there other models our EG reps would want to propose?
>> In the case of OSGi, I see no reason for the JCP to map any
>> statement about OSGi.  It is outside of the community process.  If
>> they want to join the community process.  Then I would expect to
>> see the OSGi Alliance to shutdown and we start working on OSGi r5
>> within the JCP.
>
> That would be cool.
>
>> Alternatively, if the JCP is now willing to rubberstamp
>> specifications developed outside of the JCP,
>
> I do think that the rubberstamping has happened before, and I don't
> think that there is any general problem with it.  For example,
> that's what the Groovy strategy seems to be - develop outside of
> the JCP's restrictive IP rules in an OSS project, and then throw it
> over the fence when done for rubberstamping.   It's not a perfect
> analogy though.

Really?  I personally think of Groovy as how specs should work. You
discuss everything publicly, develop the RI and TCK publicly all
under the EG.  Then when everything looks good, you put it to the EC
for a vote.  Other than the word "publicly" isn't that how all EGs work?

> I believe that there are far more examples of rubber stamping in
> the ME space, but I'm not very conversant in those JSRs.

I think that is a problem.  Where is the community in a rubber
stamping process?  It just seems counter to open source and I'm not
sure we want to support such specs.

>> I suggest that Apache investigate forming a new spec foundation
>> outside of the JCP that better represents our values.    We can
>> then develop specifications with others and bring them
>> to the JCP for rubber stamping.  I'm sure this is what everyone
>> else will do now that it is allowed ;)
>
> This has been suggested before, and is always an option :)
>
> I keep hoping someone invents a better, radically different
> approach to standardization then the ways we do it now, in Java and
> elsewhere.

I think what we have in the JCP is workable, but I would like to see
more meritocracy in the EGs.  I think this change will make things
worse not better.

-dain

Re: JSR 291 : OSGi

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2006, at 9:27 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
>> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>> I'm curious if this means that the OSGi spec committee outside of the
>>> JCP will shutdown.  Otherwise I expect we will be rubber stamping
>>> everyone's outside specs.
>>
>> The answer to the org.osgi question was that yes, the idea is to
>> preserve the existing namespace, similar to org.omg...
>>
>> And I don't think that OSGi will shutdown.  I think that the purpose
>> here is to have the JCP produce a statement regarding how OSGi is used
>> in a standard way.
>>
>>> I am concerned about any JSR or any path to a JSR that subverts the
>>> community process.
>>
>> I'm not sure what is subverted here.  There are a bunch of things,
>> such as webservices, for which the JCP does a similar thing - namely
>> define the official API to work with the technology...
>>
>> Given the current state of the community process in the JCP, how do
>> you see this subverting it?
>
> As the US Supreme Court says "I know it when I see it".  FWIU, there are
> only two places where the JCP deferred to an external group CORBA and
> WebServices.  In both cases, these are well established standards
> bodies, and they the specs are cross language. Again FWIU, OSGi is
> purely Java focused and was not an established specification group when
> it started.

Nor is it now, is it?

Re: JSR 291 : OSGi

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Mar 1, 2006, at 9:27 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> I'm curious if this means that the OSGi spec committee outside of
>> the JCP will shutdown.  Otherwise I expect we will be rubber
>> stamping everyone's outside specs.
>
> The answer to the org.osgi question was that yes, the idea is to
> preserve the existing namespace, similar to org.omg...
>
> And I don't think that OSGi will shutdown.  I think that the
> purpose here is to have the JCP produce a statement regarding how
> OSGi is used in a standard way.
>
>> I am concerned about any JSR or any path to a JSR that subverts
>> the community process.
>
> I'm not sure what is subverted here.  There are a bunch of things,
> such as webservices, for which the JCP does a similar thing -
> namely define the official API to work with the technology...
>
> Given the current state of the community process in the JCP, how do
> you see this subverting it?

As the US Supreme Court says "I know it when I see it".  FWIU, there
are only two places where the JCP deferred to an external group CORBA
and WebServices.  In both cases, these are well established standards
bodies, and they the specs are cross language. Again FWIU, OSGi is
purely Java focused and was not an established specification group
when it started.

> Are there other models our EG reps would want to propose?

In the case of OSGi, I see no reason for the JCP to map any statement
about OSGi.  It is outside of the community process.  If they want to
join the community process.  Then I would expect to see the OSGi
Alliance to shutdown and we start working on OSGi r5 within the JCP.

Alternatively, if the JCP is now willing to rubberstamp
specifications developed outside of the JCP, I suggest that Apache

Re: JSR 291 : OSGi

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: JSR 291 : OSGi

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.