Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bryan Richardson <li...@hotmail.com> on 2003/04/02 10:59:48 UTC

Newbie here...Need help with Tomcat

Hello,

I am new to the Java and Tomcat world.  I'm fairly experienced with Apache
and Perl, but I am having to do some stuff with Tomcat and Java files that
someone else has written.

I have a couple of questions...

If I run a version of Tomcat as a standalone web server, can I access a
database with it or will I need to set it up with Apache to access a
database?

I have been trying to attach Tomcat with Apache.  I used mod_jk, and I could
run the java example programs in the "examples" folder, but it would not run
java programs under my own folder in "webapps".  I believe I have the
folder,web.xml,etc. set up right because it will run the java programs in my
folder if I go directly to Tomcat via port 8080 rather than trying to run
them through Apache.  Has anyone had this same problem or know something
that I should be doing?

Someone please help if you can.  Thanks.  Bryan

Re: Newbie here...Need help with Tomcat

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 01:59:48 -0700, Bryan Richardson
<li...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If I run a version of Tomcat as a standalone web server, can I access a
> database with it or will I need to set it up with Apache to access a
> database?

Tomcat facilitates database connections just fine.  Apache is not needed
for this.

> I have been trying to attach Tomcat with Apache.  I used mod_jk, and I
> could run the java example programs in the "examples" folder, but it
> would not run java programs under my own folder in "webapps".  I believe
> I have the folder,web.xml,etc. set up right because it will run the java
> programs in my folder if I go directly to Tomcat via port 8080 rather
> than trying to run them through Apache.  Has anyone had this same problem
> or know something that I should be doing?

We'd have to know more to help.  Many people are doing this.  Relevant
portions of httpd.conf (not the whole thing), the Context definitions in
server.xml, etc.

> Someone please help if you can.  Thanks.  Bryan

John