Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2006/05/11 14:44:18 UTC

JSF impl included into Apache Geronimo

Are there any plans to include a JSF impl inside of Geronimo 1.0 ?
Since the Java2EE 1.4 Spec doesn't require it, I think it might be
usful to have this "optional" feature.

How has this *integration* to be solved technical? (new to geronimo)
Must the JSF jars be included inside the web-container (jetty/tomcat)
or wired into Gernonimo by the GBean facility?

Thanks,
Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf
Aechterhoek 18

Re: JSF impl included into Apache Geronimo

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> But I cannot see any need for GBean code for this.

ok, thanks!

-Matthias

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
I assume the G2.X will ship with the jars.  I cannot see any dependency
on the web-container at all - just the other spec jars.  I really think
its just a matter of including JSF at the server level so its available
"server-wide".  There *may* be some classloading code to be sure there
is no crossing of data/objects...I haven't dug into that part of the
spec, so I don't know that answer at this point.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
The JSF jars would not require a GBean.  There are no plans to include
them in 1.X AFAIK.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 5/11/06, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Are there any plans to include a JSF impl inside of Geronimo 1.0 ?
> Since the Java2EE 1.4 Spec doesn't require it, I think it might be
> usful to have this "optional" feature.

Geronimo 1.x does not include a JSF impl per se, but it can support
web applications that use JSF.  I tried the myfaces sample in Geronimo
a while ago and it worked ok but required a few minor tweaks to the
web.xml before it would deploy, namely removing the <description>
elements from the <context-param> and <init-param> elements.

Since JSF enablement is usually internal to a web app do you think
Geronimo (being an application server) can do something to be more
JSF-friendly from an end user's perspective?   A couple of ideas that
come to mind are to 1.) make a shared version of the myfaces jars
available in its repository so JSF apps don't have to include their
own and 2.) provide a JSF sample at a geronimo plugins site (see
http://geronimoplugins.com/ for an example plugins site).

> How has this *integration* to be solved technical? (new to geronimo)
> Must the JSF jars be included inside the web-container (jetty/tomcat)
> or wired into Gernonimo by the GBean facility?

Neither of the suggestions above really require anything that
complicated, just packaging and naming archives the right way and
putting them in the right place for later consumption by myfaces apps.
 Others may reply with suggestions that require a more technical
approach, but I doubt that the Gbean facility will be required.

One of the items that Geronimo is currently investigating is how to
integrate AJAX libraries like dojo.   From what I understand myfaces
is currently investigating dojo integration as well.  Can you comment
on what this integration will look like from a technical point of
view?  And do you think it would make sense for Geronimo to integrate
dojo in a way that is consumable by a JSF impl that is itself
integrated in Geronimo?  The challenge seems to be in coming up with a
good way to version and share a collection of static .js files across
multiple applications.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best wishes,
Paul