Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Usman Waheed <us...@opera.com> on 2009/10/14 10:48:00 UTC

Hardware performance from HADOOP cluster

Hi,

Is there a way to tell what kind of performance numbers one can expect
out of their cluster given a certain set of specs.

For example i have 5 nodes in my cluster that all have the following
hardware configuration(s):
Quad Core 2.0GHz, 8GB RAM, 4x1TB disks and are all on the same rack.

Thanks,
Usman

Re: Hardware performance from HADOOP cluster

Posted by Chris Seline <ch...@searchles.com>.
Unless my calcs are off, that is right in line with the terabyte sort
record:

1TB = roughly 1,000,000 MB
1460 nodes
62 seconds
1000000/1460/62 = 11MB/s per machine

but they used 2.5ghz quad core DUAL cpu servers, so they have roughly
2.5x the horsepower as Usman's setup.

http://developer.yahoo.net/blogs/hadoop/2009/05/hadoop_sorts_a_petabyte_in_162.html

Or am I wrong?

Chris

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.
Yeah they are single proc machines and other than setting to 4
map/reduces, completely 0.20.1 vanilla installation.

I will tune it up in the morning based on what I can find on the web
(e.g. cloudera guidelines) and post the results.  I am going to be
running HBase on top of this, but want to make sure the HDFS/MR is
running sound before continuing.

Seems there are a few people at the moment setting up clusters - might
it be worth adding our config and results to
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HardwareBenchmarks ?

For people like me (first cluster set up from scratch - previously
used the EC2 scripts) it is nice to sanity check things look about
right.  The mailing lists suggest there are a few small clusters of
medium spec machines springing up.

Cheers,
Tim

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

Posted by Usman Waheed <us...@opera.com>.
Hi Tim,

Thanks much for sharing the info.
I will most certainly share my configuration settings after applying
some tuning at my end.
Will let you know the results on this email list.

Thanks,
Usman

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Usmam,

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.
Just while I am on this thread of performance I thought I would continue...

I am moving a 200 million record table (mostly varchar) from a myisam
mysql database to hadoop.  First map reduce tests seem pretty
positive.  A full table scan in mysql takes 17 minutes on a $20,000
pretty heavyweight 64G memory server (sorry don't know exact CPU /
Disk specs offhand), with a count that can use an indexed INTEGER
(index pegged in memory) taking 3 minutes.  Exporting the table and
importing to HDFS as a tab delimited file (100GB), on the above
cluster, the same scans take 4 minutes for a custom MR job.

Actually I have 2x 200 million record tables, and a full scan
requiring a join of both those tables in mysql is around 30 minutes,
but I joined them in the export before the import into hadoop.  So
some of my ad hoc reports have just come down from 30 mins to 4 mins
(and I will use Hive for this).

Tim

Posted by Bryan Talbot <bt...@aeriagames.com>.
Here's another data point from a small cluster running Cloudera 20.1:

4 slaves of 2 Quad core (E5405) 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 4 1TB SATA drives
1 master running nn, 2nn and jt

dfs.replication=2
io.sort.factor: 25
io.sort.mb: 250
io.file.buffer.size: 65536
mapred.child.java.opts: -Xmx400M
mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum=7
mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum=7
mapred.job.reuse.jvm.num.tasks=10

$>hadoop jar /usr/lib/hadoop/hadoop-0.20.1+133-examples.jar
randomwriter -D dfs.block.size=134217728  input

Takes about 4 mins

$>hadoop jar /usr/lib/hadoop/hadoop-0.20.1+133-examples.jar sort input
output

Takes about 11 mins (map takes about 4.5 mins)

With the default configurations, the map tasks run for just a couple
seconds with the average number of tasks running at any one time being
just 20% of the map task capacity.  Increasing the block size and
reusing jvm tasks had the most noticeable impact on performance.

-Bryan

Posted by Usman Waheed <us...@opera.com>.
Tim,

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Usman Waheed <us...@opera.com>.
Hi Tim,

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Erik Forsberg <fo...@opera.com>.

Posted by Usman Waheed <us...@opera.com>.
Hi Todd,

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Usman Waheed <us...@opera.com>.

Posted by sudha sadhasivam <su...@yahoo.com>.
Can use terrabyte sort to check up performance
G Sudha Sadasivam

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Usman Waheed <us...@opera.com>.

Posted by tim robertson <ti...@gmail.com>.