Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Christian Mueller <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/19 15:20:37 UTC

Proposal for a new camel-bean-validation component based on jsr 303

Currently, I'm working on a project where we have to read fixed length
records and csv records. Because we don't trust other developers ;-), we
want to validate the input.
What do you think about a bean validation component which is based on jsr
303 (http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303) and which could be used like the
existing camel-validation component:

from(file://sampleIn.txt)
// transformation to a java object
.to("bean-validation://param1=value1")
.to("file://sampleOut.txt");

Pre defined validation rules are e. g.:
- @NotNull
- @AssertTrue
- @Size(min = 2, max = 14)
- @Min(2)
- @Max(2)
- @Valid
- @Pattern()
- ... and many more

JSR 303 also allows you to define custom validation rules. See here for more
details:
http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/validator/reference/en/html_single/#validator-customconstraints-simple

For more information, please have a look in the reference implementation:
http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/validator/reference/en/html_single/

The Hibernate Validator (the reference implementation) is licensed under the
Apache License Version 2:
http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/hibernate/validator/tags/v4_0_2_GA/license.txt

What do you think? Could this be an useful component for Camel?

Regards,
Christian

Re: Proposal for a new camel-bean-validation component based on jsr 303

Posted by Christian Mueller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I will do this.
I opened an issue on JIRA and will track further discussions there.

Re: Proposal for a new camel-bean-validation component based on jsr 303

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Looks promising. Nice that JSR-303 can gather all the validations
error in one go, so you got them all.
I recon for starters you try to implement this as a new
bean-validation component.

Then later we can see how to hookup with a predicate.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Christian Mueller
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Set<ConstraintViolation> constraintViolations, Object bean) {
>        super(exchange, buildMessage(constraintViolations, bean));
>        this.constraintViolations = constraintViolations;
>    }
>
>    protected static String buildMessage(Set<ConstraintViolation>
> constraintViolations, Object bean) {
>        StringBuffer buffer = new StringBuffer("Validation failed for: ");
>        buffer.append(bean);
>
>        buffer.append(" errors: [");
>        for (ConstraintViolation constraintViolation : constraintViolations)
> {
>            buffer.append("property: " +
> constraintViolation.getPropertyPath() + "; value: " +
> constraintViolation.getInvalidValue() + "; constraint: " +
> constraintViolation.getMessage() + "; ");
>        }
>        buffer.append("]");
>
>        return buffer.toString();
>    }
>
>    public Set<ConstraintViolation> getConstraintViolations() {
>        return constraintViolations;
>    }
> }
>
> I think this shows how the Validation API works. The Validator will not
> throw any exception, if the validation fails. It returns a Set with
> ConstraintViolations. Some features of the Validator API are not shown, but
> interesting for the users:
> - Validating groups
> (http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/validator/reference/en/html_single/#validator-usingvalidator-validationgroups)
> - Creating custom constraints
> (http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/validator/reference/en/html_single/#validator-customconstraints)
> - XML configuration
> (http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/validator/reference/en/html_single/#validator-xmlconfiguration)
> - Configure custom ValidationProviderResolver, MessageInterpolator,
> TraversableResolver or ConstraintValidatorFactory
> (http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/validator/reference/en/html_single/#validator-bootstrapping)
>
> Because the validate method of the Validator doesn't throw an exception but
> returns a Set with ConstraintViolations, I'm afraid we could not use the
> bean component.
>
> I found the following two still open issues for this topic:
> http://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/CAMEL-1276
> http://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/CAMEL-1537
>
> You and others prefers to use Predicates/Processors like this:
>
> from("foo")
>  .filter().validate(theValidationEndpointUri)
>  .to("blah")
>
> or
>
> from("foo")
>  .validate(nonblocking)
>  .to("bar")
>
> Now, I think also this is the better solution to implements these
> requirements. But I'm not so familiar with implementing
> Predicates/Processors and extend the Java/XML DSL. Could you give me a hint,
> where I could find a good sample in the Camel code to implement a

Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: Proposal for a new camel-bean-validation component based on jsr 303

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
What would the difference be between just invoking a JSR-303 bean using
.to("bean:foo?method=validateMyFooPlease")

And just have a void method definition with the JSR-303 @ annotations?
I assume JSR-303 will throw some exception if the validation failed?

I recon I need to see a more concrete example to "get the picture" :)

But its a cool idea to leverage JSR-303 for validation.
We have a ticket in JIRA for some Predicate based validation as well.

So maybe JSR-303 can be wrapped with a Predicate so you can do CBR
routing and have valid -> foo and otherwise -> bar (invalid ones).