Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Ol...@noweda.de on 2007/04/11 11:40:00 UTC

problems in ramp-up

Hi,

i have used Mina to re-implement a messaging gateway
(Unix/Linux to IBM-Mainframe).
The spoken protocol is proprietary and i am really happy
that Mina's API was so easy to understand.

Now i am experiencing some problems during the ramp-up phase.
When the first bunch of connections (about 10 in parallel)  is made to
my mina-server, i get some network timeouts.

If i kill the first 10 connections and give them a second try, everything
works fine and i don't get any timeouts. Any ideas or advice?
Or is it better to ramp-up  the client connections one after a time
with a short waiting period?

Regards,   Oliver Michels

NOWEDA Essen
Oliver Michels
Stabstelle DV-Programmierung

Telefon: 0201 802 - 2338
Telefax: 0201 802 - 1314
NOWEDA eG Apothekergenossenschaft, Essen
Vorstand: Wilfried Hollmann (Vors.), Peter Bömelburg, Wolfgang P. Kuck,
          Joachim Wörtz
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Klaus G. Brauer, Apotheker
Amtsgericht Essen, GenReg Nr. 312 * USt.Id.Nr. DE 119656729

Re: problems in ramp-up

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 4/11/07, Oliver.Michels@noweda.de <Ol...@noweda.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have used Mina to re-implement a messaging gateway
> (Unix/Linux to IBM-Mainframe).
> The spoken protocol is proprietary and i am really happy
> that Mina's API was so easy to understand.
>
> Now i am experiencing some problems during the ramp-up phase.
> When the first bunch of connections (about 10 in parallel)  is made to
> my mina-server, i get some network timeouts.
>
> If i kill the first 10 connections and give them a second try, everything
> works fine and i don't get any timeouts. Any ideas or advice?
> Or is it better to ramp-up  the client connections one after a time
> with a short waiting period?

It might be taking long time to allocate direct buffers initially.
Please try to set the default buffer type to heap buffer:

ByteBuffer.setUseDirectBuffers(true);
ByteBuffer.setAllocator(new SimpleByteBufferAllocator());

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--