Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Satish Varma Dandu <ds...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/01 20:10:08 UTC

Trending Topics with Storm

Hi, Storm looks great for finding out the trending topics. I have a quick
question regarding trending topics by category. For ex: with Storm we can
find top trending twitter articles. But whats the best way to identify
trending topics by country or by any category. Do we need to create a
separate bolt for each category. For Ex: i want to find trending topics by
"Sports" or "Music" or "Politics". So do i need to create 3 separate bolts
and separate rollingTopWords ?. Whats the best approach in those scenarios.

Thanks. Any help on this would be great.

Re: Trending Topics with Storm

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Nothing constrains you to accumulate a single statistic or measure in a single bolt.  In fact, it can be very good for performance to fold accumulators into a single bolt.  Such folding is one of the most important optimizations in mapr-reduce coding, for much the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone