Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/07/15 16:11:08 UTC

Coordination on AOO 4.0 Release Announcement

As Juergen pointed out, the AOO 4.0 release vote has successfully
completed.  The release is approved.

However, please *do not* go out and start announcing the release yet.
We need to coordinate a few final steps before this is done,
including:

1. Provisioning the files to the Apache and SourceForge distribution directories

2. Waiting for the files to replicate within the mirror network (as
much as 24 hours)

3. Verify download scripts against actual AOO 4.0 files.

4. Complete the release notes.  Convert them to HTML.  Give some time
for translations.

5. Prepare announcement emails and blog post and webpage.

The above should all be done before we announce.   After we announce,
we have a few other items to do:

5. Update logos on social media sites

6. Enable update notification server

7. Follow up blog post +1 week.

I'd like to recommend that we aim for a noon UTC announcement on
Wednesday, if possible.  That would mean that items 1-5 are complete
then.  Release notes translations can roll in over time if needed.
But we should have the English Release Notes and the other items ready
to go.

Does this make sense?  Am I missing anything?  Anyone think that Wed.
is not possible?  It is better not to make an important announcement
at the end of the week (Thursday or Friday) since that tends to mute
the press coverage.

We should use the Release Dashboard to coordinate the status of these items:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/4.0+Release+Dashboard

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Coordination on AOO 4.0 Release Announcement

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 7/15/13 4:54 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 07/15/2013 04:11 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> As Juergen pointed out, the AOO 4.0 release vote has successfully
>> completed.  The release is approved.
>>
>> However, please *do not* go out and start announcing the release yet.
>> We need to coordinate a few final steps before this is done,
>> including:
>>
>> 1. Provisioning the files to the Apache and SourceForge distribution
>> directories
>>
>> 2. Waiting for the files to replicate within the mirror network (as
>> much as 24 hours)
>>
>> 3. Verify download scripts against actual AOO 4.0 files.
>>
>> 4. Complete the release notes.  Convert them to HTML.  Give some time
>> for translations.
>>
>> 5. Prepare announcement emails and blog post and webpage.
>>
>> The above should all be done before we announce.   After we announce,
>> we have a few other items to do:
>>
>> 5. Update logos on social media sites
>>
>> 6. Enable update notification server
>>
>> 7. Follow up blog post +1 week.
>>
>> I'd like to recommend that we aim for a noon UTC announcement on
>> Wednesday, if possible.  That would mean that items 1-5 are complete
>> then.  Release notes translations can roll in over time if needed.
>> But we should have the English Release Notes and the other items ready
>> to go.
>
> When Juergen is allowed to upload the release until ~20:00 UTC today,
> then the files can be distributed around the mirrors and I should be
> able to update the DL websites tomorrow evening to be ready until
> Wednesday noon UTC.

files are uploaded, see my reply in the RESULT thread... I put Roberto in cc

Juergen

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Personally, I think that is a pain in the ass to convert the wiki
> >> Release Notes to HTML.  Remember, our goal has been to make the
> >> Release Notes nicer, with more graphics, etc.  So this is going to
> >> make conversion more difficult.  But if someone really wants to do
> >> that, then I have no objections.
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >>

> > Given our past thread on this, I didn't know what the "decision" was.
> >

> My takeaway was there were concerns with having uncontrolled changes
> to the Release Notes.   But if we like the wiki as a technology there
> are ways of handling this.  For example, we could link to a specific
> revision of the wiki page from the download page.  That allows us to
> be constant by default, but preserves flexibility to update it later
> if needed.
>
> -Rob

Ok. this would be a useful option. I tried this just now and it seemed to
work fine.

> > For now, we will link to the Community wiki area I guess, and deal with
> > other issues on this matter later.

> ready

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/4.0+Release+Dashboard

> > --

MzK

Success is falling nine times and getting up ten."
                             -- Jon Bon Jovi

Re: Coordination on AOO 4.0 Release Announcement

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org> wrote:
> Will the new distributor page be opened up in conjunction with the new
> release?

We're not ready on the CD distributor thing, if that is what you are
referring to.  But good reminder that this is still an open task.

-Rob

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.