Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Isaac <ro...@volvoclub.org.uk> on 2006/01/11 19:11:33 UTC

CPU utilisation

I have added Spamassassin 3.1.0 and ClamAV and MailScanner to our new server running
RHESL-4 and Apache 2.0.52.

When running 'top' I notice that spamassassin uses between 23% - 60% CPU. Is this
normal?

Bob

Robert Isaac
Director/Web Admin
Volvo Owners Club

Re: CPU utilisation

Posted by ts...@wise.k12.va.us.
Depends on your hardware, rulesets and amount of incoming mail.

Shane

Re: CPU utilisation

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Robert Isaac wrote:
> I have added Spamassassin 3.1.0 and ClamAV and MailScanner to our new server running
> RHESL-4 and Apache 2.0.52.
>
> When running 'top' I notice that spamassassin uses between 23% - 60% CPU. Is this
> normal?

Depends on your rate of mail and how much CPU you have..

That said, SA is rather CPU intensive. If you've got a steady stream of mail,
you'll have a steady stream of CPU usage.

My question would be how can you tell that it's SA using 23-60% when you're
using MailScanner?

(SA is called internal to MailScanner, so all of MS/SA get's lumped under one
process.. And if you use clamavmodule instead of clamav in MailScanner.conf then
clamav's work get's lumped in too)