Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org> on 2008/07/30 07:46:26 UTC

Find a new name for Corona (was: [proposal] Corona: A Cocoon subproject)

David Crossley wrote:
> Reinhard P?tz wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>>> The Apache Incubator docs should have some guidelines
>>> about this topic, since this issue often arises there.
>>> The Incubator general mail list would have lots of
>>> examples of people struggling with this issue, and hence
>>> guidance from ASF members.
>>>
>>> A quick search found these docs:
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#naming
>>>
>>> See any project's "Status report"
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/
>>> The first item on their "Incubation work items"
>>> is to be sure that the name is okay. e.g.
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html
>>> The instruction says:
>>> "Make sure that the requested project name does not
>>> already exist and check www.nameprotect.com to be sure
>>> that the name is not already trademarked for an
>>> existing software product."
>> Does the ASF have an account?
>
> I don't know.
>
> This would generally be a good topic to raise on the ASF
> legal-discuss mail list. If it was framed in terms of
> establishing a well-defined procedure, then it would get
> better response.
>
>>> A quick search for "corona software java" shows some
>>> high profile software products.
>> Ok, this means that we have to find a better name.
>>
>>> First we should define the mission of this subproject.
>>> We will need a one-sentence description anyway.
>>> Then the appropriate name should fall out.
>> Corona has two main goals:
>>
>>  1. Become the best platform for RESTful services and
>>     RESTful web applications based on the concept
>>     of pipelines.
>>
>>  2. Provide a generic pipeline Java API with SAX
>>     and STaX based default implementations.
>>
>>> I lean towards "Fibre" or "Silk". However because it
>>> might not be the pipeline API that Cocoon uses, then
>>> perhaps some other type of fibre. For example,
>>> "Kapok" - "a fine fibrous cotton-like substance
>>> found surrounding the seeds of a tropical tree".
>>> (Australian Oxford English Dictionary). The term
>>> "Java Kapok" is used, but from my quick search
>>> not in the software industry.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba_pentandra
>>>
>>> So my proposals are:
>>> Apache Cocoon Kapok
>>> Apache Cocoon Fibre
>> I tend towards Apache (Cocoon) Silk because it is short and easily
>> pronounceable (in contrast to Fibre) and doesn't sound like Klingon
>> (Kapok).
>
> The USA spelling might be better: "Fiber".

ok, that's much better IMO. Provided that we are allowed to have a
subproject without "Cocoon" in the name, the current list of suggested
names includes:

  . Apache Cocoon Fiber
  . Apache Cocoon Silk
  . Apache Fiber
  . Apache Silk

Any other suggestions?

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz pisze:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:46 AM, Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> ... . Apache Cocoon Silk
>
> My favorite - usually known as "Cocoon Silk"
>
>> ... . Apache Silk...
>
> Omitting Cocoon in the name would be a bad idea IMO, as the Cocoon
> "brand" is well-known.

+1

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Find a new name for Corona (was: [proposal] Corona: A Cocoon subproject)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:46 AM, Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> ... . Apache Cocoon Silk

My favorite - usually known as "Cocoon Silk"

> ... . Apache Silk...

Omitting Cocoon in the name would be a bad idea IMO, as the Cocoon
"brand" is well-known.

-Bertrand

Re: Find a new name for Corona (was: [proposal] Corona: A Cocoon subproject)

Posted by Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org>.
Hi,

2008/7/30 Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>:

> ok, that's much better IMO. Provided that we are allowed to have a
> subproject without "Cocoon" in the name, the current list of suggested names
> includes:
>
>  . Apache Cocoon Fiber
>  . Apache Cocoon Silk
>  . Apache Fiber
>  . Apache Silk
>
> Any other suggestions?

I'd argue strongly in favour of the original spelling, Fibre, and not Fiber.

Andrew.
--
asavory@apache.org / contact@andrewsavory.com
http://www.andrewsavory.com/

RE: Find a new name for Corona (was: [proposal] Corona: A Cocoon subproject)

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.

Fiber returns many IT related hits in search engines. While Silk gives almost none (except [1], who did that graphical design?). So if you're developing with/for "Corona" and you're looking for information or help, Silk may be better. You may get lost in all results for Fiber which are unrelated to this project.
Just my €0.02.

[1] http://www.silkproject.org/

Jasha Joachimsthal

www.onehippo.com
San Francisco - Hippo USA Inc. 101 H Street, suite Q Petaluma CA 94952-3329 +1 (707) 773-4646

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> If that's the plan (and I like it), why not keep the "project Corona"
> name for now?
>
> That would be just a project name, not a product name, so we don't
> need to care about conflicts, the full name would be "Apache Cocoon -
> project Corona".

In my, very humble, opinion, this makes a lot of sense.

Moreover, I like the Corona name: it was the codename for the first
family of spy satellites (actually, it was spelled "project CORONA", in
uppercase)... quite an endeavor at the time [1].

Regards,

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_(satellite)

--------------------
    Luca Morandini
www.lucamorandini.it
--------------------

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...I'm still not convinced that we should name it Cocoon 3.0 _now_ (quoting
> myself from a few days ago):..

I knew someone had said something about that, couldn't find that thread ;-)

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Rainer Pruy <Ra...@Acrys.COM>.
Just my 0,02 cents...

I always considered "Cocoon" to mean more than pipelines, sitemap and alike....
Thus I don't think using Cocoon 3.0 being an apropriate name.

What about

Cocoon Pipe  (ok, not exaktly)

or

Cocoon Bones

Rainer

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 07:21 -0700, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> >> Just to say another name: ;)
> >>
> >> Apache Kokon
> >>
> >> which is cocoon in German.
> >>

> > jeje this one is for Antonio:
> >
> > Apache Capullo
> >
> > which is cocoon in Spanish (but in Spain it has a slightly double
> > meaning).
> >
> > salu2
> >
> Should I ask?
>
> I actually like both those names - depending on the secondary meaning.

hehehe, the second meaning in Spain (not in south America) is somehow
like "asshole" but in a more friendly way and is really an Andalusia
thing. ;) Good laughs I had with Antonio about that.

In Nicaragua it has the double meaning of "darling" "sweetheart".

salu2

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>>
>> What would be the options that we vote on?
>>
>>  a) keep the name Apache Cocoon Corona
>>  b) rename to Apache Cocoon Silk
>>  c) we need to find some other name
>>
>> Any other options?
>
> I sent a message to legal internal to get their opinion on options a and b.
> I suggest waiting for an answer....

We could also vote and, if one of the names is vetoed by the legal
team (which I doubt very much - it's "Apache Cocoon foo" anyway), take
the next one.

-Bertrand

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Sorry, I didn't do reply-all. I usually just do reply on all my Apache
email.

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> What would be the options that we vote on?
>
>  a) keep the name Apache Cocoon Corona
>  b) rename to Apache Cocoon Silk
>  c) we need to find some other name
>
> Any other options?
I sent a message to legal internal to get their opinion on options a and
b. I suggest waiting for an answer.

Ralph

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...We had this renaming game with CForms IIRC. And it was more confusing than
>> it helped.

yes, it took years until Woody was gone. But the situation was different
because Woody had a large user base which Corona hasn't (yet).

> I guess that was so long ago that some people don't remember...
>
> I do remember - finding names for products today is the nightmare ;-)

yes, I really get tired of this discussion. Since it will probably be me
who has to do the actual renaming work, I'm strongly in favor of leaving
things as they are (= keeping the name Corona, do some alpha/beta
releases and then we still can decide if we have to change something ...)

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Torsten Curdt <tcurdt <at> apache.org> writes:

> I think Corona is a great name. Everyone uses it. People already know
> it by now. Let's officially call it Apache Cocoon (Project) Corona.
> Everyone will call it Corona anyway. Will that really be a problem?
> (Sorry if I missed that thread/post)
>
> And once things are there we can think of a migration strategy and
> migrate it to Cocoon 3.0. But that is still a long way.

I tend to agree with Torsten. Renaming it now and potentially again in a year
sounds like a lot of confusion. Of course tagging it with the final name as
early as possible would be good but it seems we can't agree on calling it Cocoon
3.0 right now. So I prefer to leave it as it is (or just change it to the
official name Apache Cocoon Corona).

Joerg

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
Guy, just my 2 cents.

We had this renaming game with CForms IIRC. And it was more confusing
than it helped. I guess that was so long ago that some people don't
remember.

I think Corona is a great name. Everyone uses it. People already know
it by now. Let's officially call it Apache Cocoon (Project) Corona.
Everyone will call it Corona anyway. Will that really be a problem?
(Sorry if I missed that thread/post)

And once things are there we can think of a migration strategy and
migrate it to Cocoon 3.0. But that is still a long way.

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>> ...The name that we would use is "Cocoon Silk". So I tend to think that it
>> isn't a problem....

> ...Trademark or not, when people in software talk about Silk these products are
> what they mean. Using a name that is already highly branded would be a
> mistake....

I have a new proposal: Weedle.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakuna#Weedle, Weedle are
"very weak Pokémon that are captured to be evolved into their
cocoon-like Kakuna form". Suits Corona well, as that might or might
not become the next Cocoon.

And they look cute: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Weedle_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

I'm not a Pokemon fan by any means but it looks like the name is not
associated with software yet, so it might work.

-Bertrand

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>>
>> Borland hasn't trademarked "silk" but only some variants of it. See
>> http://tinyurl.com/5bkw9d
>>
>> "Silk" was trademarked by a company called mentis:
>> http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=pgshps.20.117
>>
>> The name that we would use is "Cocoon Silk". So I tend to think that
>> it isn't a problem.
>>
>> WDOT?
>>
> Trademark or not, when people in software talk about Silk these products
> are what they mean. Using a name that is already highly branded would be
> a mistake. Maybe most of you are too young to get this but what would
> you think of a project named Apache SideKick? If it wasn't a Personal
> Information Manager people would be confused. If it was people would be
> even more confused. (If you don't know what SideKick was see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SideKick).
>
> The point is, people would expect Cocoon Silk to be some sort of
> performance measurement tool, probably with the expectation that it
> hooks into Silk Test or Silk Performer somehow.  (Which actually isn't a
> bad idea).

I don't know neither SideKick nor Borland's Silk. I can't say if people
immediately start to think of test tools when they hear the world silk
somehow related to software. Silk is also used over 700! times in US
trademarks only so people probably have many different first ideas.

IIUC Borland didn't care themselves that another company has already
registered Silk and if other companies like Microsoft used Avalon for
software years after the Apache Avalon project was started. I can't
believe that they didn't know before ;-)

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Find a new name for Corona

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.