Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2021/12/06 08:43:35 UTC

[VOTE] Apache 4.3.0 RC 1

Hi,

Here is a vote on the release of Apache Jena 4.3.0.
This is the first proposed release candidate.

The deadline is Thursday, 9 December 2021 at 09:00 UTC.

Please vote to approve this release:

         [ ] +1 Approve the release
         [ ]  0 Don't care
         [ ] -1 Don't release, because ...

==== Contributors

Stefan Obermeier
  - Add jena-examples to modules in parent pom

Erich Bremer
  - Update EnhGraph.java

Florian Kleedorfer
  - Fix copy/paste error in validation report message

Jan-Martin Keil
  - Dataset: enable named Models with blank node name

jena-site:
   Michael Wechner
   michi AT wyona.com
   @den1s0v
   Robin Vobruba

==== Major items in this release

There is a change to use JDK java.net.http
package for HTTP. This affects authentication.

There is also a lot of code cleanup around SPARQL operations.
Deprecation indicate methods that will be removed in the future.

Fuseki users are not affected by these changes.

JENA-2175
   (tdbloader2 renamed). tdb1.xloader & tdb2.xloader
   https://jena.staged.apache.org/documentation/tdb/tdb-xloader.html

Loader for large data on modest hardware. 1B triples and beyond.

JENA-2171: str(bnode) now returns string, not an error.

JENA-2173: Async parser
https://github.com/apache/jena/blob/main/jena-examples/src/main/java/arq/examples/riot/ExRIOT9_AsyncParser.java

JENA-2187 : JSON-LD prefixes fix

JENA-2182: Fuseki modules (experimental)

JENA-2179 -> JENA-2186: Handling U+FFFD
   Print as \uFFFD, warn if seen raw.

Epic: JENA-2125
Internal reorg:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r02f8938a5fea60f6dd1781dabcb81862abebd19052b076fad57340db%40%3Cusers.jena.apache.org%3E

JENA-2165
Retire OSGi

JENA-2176: Protobuf encoding

TDB2 node cache default -> 750k->1e6

JENA-2195: jena-examples
   examples consolidated

---- Migration to java.net.http:

* HTTP usage provided by the JDK java.net.http package, with
challenge-based authentication provided on top by Jena.

* Execution objects (QueryExecution, UpdateExecution, RDFConnection)
have a companion builders for detailed configuration. Previous factory
classes remain but builders are preferred.

This is especially important for HTTP as there many configuration
options that may be needed (including template queries).

* Timeouts - remote only supports the overall query execution.
(connection timeout on HttpClient but due to connection caching and now
HTTP/2 it is unclear how meaningful that is per request)

* HTTP/2 support (comes from using java.net.http package)

See notes on changes:

https://jena.apache.org/documentation/sparql-apis/#changes

==== Changes for 4.3.0

See for JIRA tickets:
https://s.apache.org/jena-4.3.0-jira

==== Release Vote

Everyone, not just committers, is invited to test and vote.
Please download and test the proposed release.

Staging repository:
   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejena-1045

Proposed dist/ area:
   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/jena/

Keys:
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jena/dist/KEYS

Git commit (browser URL):
   https://github.com/apache/jena/commit/bf0fd7e9f0
Git Commit Hash:
   bf0fd7e9f034ffdbf8666023131efd2e77b9b857
Git Commit Tag:
   jena-4.3.0

This vote will be open until at least

     Thursday, 9 December 2021 at 09:00 UTC

If you expect to check the release but the time limit does not work
for you, please email within the schedule above with an expected time
and we can extend the vote period.

Thanks,

       Andy

Checking needed:

+ are the GPG signatures fine?
+ are the checksums correct?
+ is there a source archive?

+ can the source archive be built?
           (NB This requires a "mvn install" first time)
+ is there a correct LICENSE and NOTICE file in each artifact
           (both source and binary artifacts)?
+ does the NOTICE file contain all necessary attributions?
+ have any licenses of dependencies changed due to upgrades?
            if so have LICENSE and NOTICE been upgraded appropriately?
+ does the tag/commit in the SCM contain reproducible sources?

Re: [VOTE] Apache 4.3.0 RC 1

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Checks with Linux

and with the proceeding commit to the release
   GH actions for Windows and MacOS
   Jenkins builds for Java11 and Java17

     Andy

Re: [VOTE] Apache 4.3.0 RC 1

Posted by Marco Neumann <ma...@gmail.com>.
          [ x] +1 Approve the release

Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
openjdk 11.0.11
Apache Maven 3.6.3

--

---
Marco Neumann

Re: [VOTE] Apache 4.3.0 RC 1

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@apache.org>.
 [X] +1 Approve the release

Verified signatures
Verified checksums
Built on Java 11 and 17 from git tag (OS X, maven 3.8.2)
Built on Java 11 and 17 from source archive (OS X, maven 3.8.2)
LICENSE and NOTICE files are present

Thanks for managing this release!

-Aaron

[RESULT] Apache 4.3.0 RC 1

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
The vote passes with 3 +1 votes from Bruno, Aaron and Andy, together
with a community vote from Marco.

I'll start pushing the release out, update the webiste and making the
announcement.

Re: [VOTE] Apache 4.3.0 RC 1

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
 [x] +1 Approve the release

Successfully built from tag with `mvn clean install`, on

Apache Maven 3.8.2 (ea98e05a04480131370aa0c110b8c54cf726c06f)
Maven home: /opt/apache-maven-3.8.2
Java version: 11.0.11, vendor: Ubuntu, runtime: /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64
OS name: "linux", version: "5.4.0-91-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

Then unpacked apache-jena-fuseki and started the fuseki-server.jar. UI loaded OK. Created an in-memory DS, and used ./bin/s-post to upload some data. Then created a TDB2 dataset in Fuseki and uploaded data using the UI. Queries to fetch data with default and named graph both working fine. No issues found.

Inspected a few files in the dist area randomly, and found no issues in LICENSE/NOTICE files. Everything seems to be in order.

Tested signature of files in the dist area, found no errors too.

Thanks Andy!
Bruno