Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2002/07/25 13:59:53 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 2684 - trunk/subversion/include trunk/subversion/mod_dav_svn trunk/subversion/clients/cmdline trunk/subversion/libsvn_repos trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_dav

Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi> writes:

> cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> >> But I don't get this? Why do we hide 'M' as an action, and instead
> >> show 'U'?
> >
> > The 'M' is simply more "correct" for internal purposes.  The 'U'
> > that the client binary prints exists only for consistency with the
> > kind of output 'svn update' yields.
>
> Oh, so there is no 'U' coming out as an action anymore, they are all
> 'M'? Or is there both 'U' and 'M' coming out and we just don't want to
> tell the user the distinction?

Sorry.  I've managed to confuse you.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:17:10AM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

> > then this to me looks like you fixed the HTML escaping by updating
> > tweak-log.cgi.  But this is of course not the case.  You fixed it by
> > _modifying_ that file.  An update doesn't contribute any new
> > information to the repository, and thus can't fix anything there.
> >
> > Why not just let the output be consistent with that of `svn status' at
> > the committers end just before the commit instead?  That seems more
> > logical, since the log is talking about commits and not updates.
>
> I'm only the messenger! :-) Seriously, I personally would *rather* see
> the 'M' for modify (same reasons you have), but whoever (Karl?) coded
> the original schema wanted otherwise.  It's certainly not too late to
> change it though -- I mean, the feature has only been working for,
> what, a couple of days now?  Certainly folks haven't written entire
> GUIs around it.

i was also confused the first time i saw it, so +1 on changing the
output to mirror 'svn st' instead of 'svn up'.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:
> I'm only the messenger! :-) Seriously, I personally would *rather* see
> the 'M' for modify (same reasons you have), but whoever (Karl?) coded
> the original schema wanted otherwise.  It's certainly not too late to
> change it though -- I mean, the feature has only been working for,
> what, a couple of days now?  Certainly folks haven't written entire
> GUIs around it.

Yup, +1 on changing to 'M' here too.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Posted by Marcus Comstedt <ma...@mc.pp.se>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:

> The client, however, wants its output to be consistent with that of
> `svn update', so it maps like so:
>
>    A => A
>    D => D
>    R => R
>    M => U

I've been meaning to ask this, but _why_ does it want the output to
be consistent with that of `svn update'?  I think it's rather
unintuitive.  If the log message is

rev 2701:  cmpilato | 2002-07-25 04:06:31 +0200 (Thu, 25 Jul 2002) | 3
lines
Changed paths:
   U /trunk/tools/cgi/tweak-log.cgi

* tools/cgi/tweak-log.cgi
  (doFetchLog): html-escape the current log that inits the textarea.

then this to me looks like you fixed the HTML escaping by updating
tweak-log.cgi.  But this is of course not the case.  You fixed it by
_modifying_ that file.  An update doesn't contribute any new
information to the repository, and thus can't fix anything there.

Why not just let the output be consistent with that of `svn status' at
the committers end just before the commit instead?  That seems more
logical, since the log is talking about commits and not updates.

  // Marcus