Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Michael Heinz <mi...@merck.com> on 2004/02/06 20:41:29 UTC

Getting started with Jmeter, having trouble with the scheduler

So, we're trying to measure the capabilities of a load balanced environment;
I need to generate a long term test plan (at least 24 hour cycle running for
several days). The plan should emulate a daily load on a pair of enterprise
sites; varying from low to high to low over time.

I've figured out much of what I need, except for the varying load over time.
Structures like this:

Test Plan:
Thread Group (10)
Thread Group (30)
Thread Group (50)
Thread Group (20)
Thread Group (10)

Seem to launch all threads at once. I attempted to use the scheduler
feature, but it's not well documented: can you use relative times? Are times
in AM/PM or 24 hour format? Apparently I'm not guessing well, because
attempts to use the scheduler just end up with none of the threads running
at all.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New
Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the
United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan as
Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have
received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail
and then delete it from your system.

Re: Getting started with Jmeter, having trouble with the scheduler

Posted by se...@apache.org.
The Test Plan has a check-box entitled:

Run each Thread Group separately

This should make the Thread Groups run in sequence.

Have you tried this?
S.

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.

according to the user manual:

Version 1.9 introduces a test run scheduler . Click the checkbox at the bottom of the Thread Group panel to reveal two extra fields in which you can enter the start and end times of the run. When the test is started, JMeter will wait if necessary until the start-time has been reached. At the end of each cycle, JMeter checks if the end-time has been reached, and if so, the run is stopped, otherwise the test is allowed to continue until the iteration limit is reached.

If you want to delay a group of threads, you can enter the duration in seconds in "start up delay." If you want a thread group to rerun, I don't think that's possible. what you can do is create a number of thread groups.

I hope that helps.

peter lin