Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org> on 2018/05/04 01:38:34 UTC

[VOTE] Support Java-like array

Dear development community,

     In order to improve Groovy's compatibility with Java(Copy & Paste) and
make Groovy more friendly to Java developers[1], I propose to support
Java-like array[2][3] and start the VOTE thread for supporting Java-like
array.

     Please vote on supporting Java-like array since Apache Groovy 3.0.0.

     Here are the poll results from twitter and user mailing list for your
reference:

Sum up the poll results
24 votes in total(including my +1)
15 +1 (62.5%)
9     0 (37.5%)
0    -1 (  0.0%)

Twitter[4]
19 votes in total(not including my +1)
58% +1,
42%   0,
 0%   -1

User mailing list(
http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/Poll-About-supporting-Java-like-array-tt5749923.html
)
4 votes in total(not including my +1)
3  +1,
1    0,
0   -1

The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
three +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Support Java-like array
[ ]  0 I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I assume it's ok
[ ] -1 Do not support Java-like array because...

Here is my vote:

+1

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun
[1] http://groovy-lang.org/differences.html
[2] https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/691
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-8561
[4] https://twitter.com/daniel_sun/status/990544485196091395

Re: [VOTE] Support Java-like array

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Paul,

     I've added your proposed provisos to the PR. Thanks for your voting.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: [VOTE] Support Java-like array

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
+1 with the following provisos:
* we need to update the breaking changes section of 3.0.0 release notes on
the website (site/src/site/releasenotes/groovy-3.0.adoc) to include the
cases listed in GROOVY-8561
* we need to update the "Array initializers" section of
core-differences-java.adoc (we need to explain what cases remain -
obviously if no array type is specified is one case - I haven't checked
whether Java allows arrays of lambdas or something similar which we may not
support - I don't believe so but haven't researched into it)
* we need to update the "Arrays" section of core-syntax.adoc (I think we
need to indicate that square brackets is the idiomatic approach and also
explicitly say that closure is the default interpretation of curly braces
unless the array target type can be inferred from the context.)

I think it is probably worth adding the last two into the PR for any future
reviewers. We should also update the "Lists" section of core-syntax.adoc to
include information about Groovy's auto promotion of a single item into an
array. I guess that isn't really part of this change but since that is
where the breaking changes changes will be for the degenerate edge cases, I
think we had better make that clearer.

I am happy to help with the wording in the doco changes (time permitting).

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
Yes, three +1 PMC votes is probably overkill for anything but the biggest
changes but we've always had that implication in mind when using [VOTE].
So, in hindsight, this email should have been a [VOTE][LAZY].  I was about
to explain that subtlety to Daniel in my attempts to mentor/pass on the
Apache way but he was very productive and got the vote email out before I
got the chance.

Perhaps one of the PMC members will change their mind or after some time,
additional changes in Java might make this change more important again.

Yes, we should clarify "qualified voter".

Cheers, Paul.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
I think it would be good to extend the vote, yes, or re-vote, it's not a
problem.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Cédric,

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mg <mg...@arscreat.com>.

                    *

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.
My 10 cents:

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Didn’t see a requirement for three +1 votes anywhere...

Paul asked for “I would like to see some more PMC votes for this proposal.”
Since then, two PMC members voted, one +1 and one +0.

Seems sufficient to me... Am I wrong?

PMC members, if you feel differently, could you please add your vote?

Remko

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Why? I count three +1 and one +0 votes.

Remko

Posted by John Wagenleitner <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Originally was going to vote 0, but had more time to devote to looking over
the proposed PR/provisos and to consider the possible downsides.

Posted by MG <mg...@arscreat.com>.

On 07.05.2018 22:03, Guillaume Laforge wrote:
> I haven't voted as I'm not a big fan of adding this syntax construct.
>
> My feeling is that we shouldn't necessarily try to become a pure
> Java-superset, and it shouldn't be a goal to try more and more to
> close that gap.

Being able to write Java constructs in Groovy and incorporating the
improvements Groovy has to offer one after another was a major factor
for me, and it continues to be very helpful when introducing new
colleaugues to Groovy. If they know Java (and who does not, nowadays ?),
you can tell them: Just use what you know and - oh yea, do a search and
replace and remove all the semicolons at the end of each line, and you
can use a multiline String with embedded variables here, you might wanna
use a list literal there - and just say file.text = list.join('\n') to
write the result to a file, ...

> There are some confusing cases where (single element) array
> initializers can be confounded with closures.
>
> Also, I tend to prefer square brackets over curlies, but that's
> certainly a question of taste.

Agree with both points. I still think the plus outhweighs the minus -
see above and below.

> The other thing that slightly annoys me is that we're adding
> additional syntax for the same thing: array initializers, but look at
> how we added lambda notation.
> How will we explain users why we have two syntaxes for the same thing?
> Or when/why they should use one over the other?

Hence my suggestion to issue a "non-canonical Groovy / Java construct"-
warning in these cases - which everyone seems to confuse with some sort
of coding style warning, which to me it is clearly not: One just has to
ask oneself, whether anyone would have even considered voting for "...a
brand new alias for def: var !", or "...a way to write array literals,
so the look like closures: The amazing curly braces array literals
!".... (spoken with the voice of the boss from "IT Crowd", season 1 ;-) ).

(I understand that we currently don't have warnings in Groovy, but
seriously, how hard can it be to add errors which do not make the build
fail ?-)  )

Cheers,
mg

Re: [VOTE] Support Java-like array

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
I haven't voted as I'm not a big fan of adding this syntax construct.

My feeling is that we shouldn't necessarily try to become a pure
Java-superset, and it shouldn't be a goal to try more and more to close
that gap.
There are some confusing cases where (single element) array initializers
can be confounded with closures.

Also, I tend to prefer square brackets over curlies, but that's certainly a
question of taste.

The other thing that slightly annoys me is that we're adding additional
syntax for the same thing: array initializers, but look at how we added
lambda notation.
How will we explain users why we have two syntaxes for the same thing? Or
when/why they should use one over the other?

I guess with 15 years involved in various ways with Groovy, I'm also
becoming more conservative with changes, and I fear that we might be making
Groovy more / too complicated.

So I will vote, but only with +0.

Guillaume

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
Twitter: @glaforge <http://twitter.com/glaforge>

Re: [VOTE] Support Java-like array

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by "Daniel.Sun" <su...@apache.org>.
Kotlin is a great language, but I do not like its syntax...
Groovy's STC will be better in the next releases. I wish we could fix most
of issues before 3.0.0 GA. Currently there are about 70 issues about STC
being open to fix.

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

Re: [VOTE] Support Java-like array