Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de> on 2002/02/09 12:37:30 UTC

[simplestore] hello, where is the problem? [was: RE: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/simplestore/src/sample/org/apache/commons/simplestore/persistence]

Juozas,
this one will be a bit emotional.

>From: Juozas Baliuka [mailto:baliuka@mwm.lt]
>
>I am very new in Apache and don't know rooles. I tried to use this style
>from existing code. I Think license is not the main problem in my code.
>I see I must to fix code formating and naming first.

No problem dude, I can fix that license issue. Code formating is nice,
but it is not our prime problem!

>I have some ideas for collections. We done reachebility management in
>simplestore. Ideas can be reused for "soft pool" implementation.
>It has meaning for Lists :
> users code :
>
> List myList = CollectionUtils.getPooledList();
> ......list  operation....
>// no need to return list to pool GC will do this then object becomes
>unreacheble.
>
>This can be used for more generic pools, but this is the most trivial
>example to understand.
>Lists created by "CollectionUtils" will be reused in very transparent way.
>It can be useful if application uses a lot of arrays or lists implemented
>on arrays, it because memory allocation for "Large" array is very expensive
>and this operation can be "cached". SoftValueMap can be implemented this
>way, no need to have "public void purge()".
>Collections are used in core parts and they must be very "fast" to have good
>quality. I see a lot of optimizations for collections.

Nice.

>I have "karma" on commons but I think it is by mistake. My "Karma" was for
>simplestore in "sandbox" only, but it seems I have "Karma" on commons too. I don't want
>to commit anything  withaut "+1" on commons at this time.

Argh Juozas, that's normal. When you get commit rights in commons-sandbox you
have automatic commit rights to the other projects too. Same as I. And it's
no discussion, that we must show respect to the codebase of the other project.
Voting is the normal way, to change things in every apache.org project. Please
read the apache.org guidelines.

If you don't wanna have commit rights in the commons project, then please mail
that to root@apache.org and he will remove you. But you have to say it loud and
clear!

>Most of projects in commons are dependant on some project in commons.
>It is good, we have a lot of "smal" projects in commons, sandbox, but I
>think it is too mucth "good". Commons can become SourceForge, think about
>this. Commiters or some advanced users can find useful ideas and code in
>commons, but not all users. May be, I wrong understand commons and sandbox ideas ?
>It is not product, is it ?

Juozas did you read <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html>? It's true,
that maybe the code is a little bit hidden for the normal users. But Apache is
not Sourceforge and we have to live with that.

Honestly Juozas I have a little problem with you. I proposed you as committer
for commons-sandbox, because I believe your are a good developer with great ideas.
I changed my mind for the simplestore project modul, to make place for your aims.
But your mind is changing every day. Some day you say right, the other day left.
One day something with Jakarta Commons is bad, the other day the whole OpenSource
development is strange, and so one... Could we please stop this (being a PITA).

When you don't have time I understand this, but then say it loud and clear. When
you don't like it any more, then say it loud and clear. When you have a other ideas,
then say it loud and clear.
I know language is problem for you, but I give the advise to write short and
accurate sentences and at least check your typos in your emails!
English is not my natural language too, I'm german. Sometimes I would like to
write contributions here in german to express myself clear. But that's not possible
and english is ruling here. That's it.

Juozas make up your mind, think about your effort here and to simplestore, stay kool
and _most important_ have fun here. It's a great opportunity, believe me!

Last but not least:
"verba volant, scripta manent (discussions get forgotten, just code remains)"

  ~Gerhard

"Nowadays we would first land a CNN crew, put up a COLOR camera
and ask Mr. Armstrong to come outside and make a jump for mankind..."

RE: [simplestore] hello, where is the problem? [was: RE: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/simplestore/src/sample/org/apache/commons/simplestore/persistence]

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Juozas,

>From: Juozas Baliuka [mailto:baliuka@mwm.lt]
>
>Hi,
>I see it is very hard to understand me.

Sometimes ;).

>My vision about simplestore ( simplestore is my priority at this time):
>1. We will implement very trivial but powerful interface to put object and
>key, and get object by key. we can add "remove by key". Priority is
>performance and "simple". Memory works at this time and I think we don't
>need "stable stores" in this project, they can be examples to show power of
>trivial code.

Ok then I will remove all that other stuff! StoreJanitor, s.o. to have a clean
codebase.

>2. Implement very realistic O/R example, it can be a place to start real O/R
>framework;

Ok, why not.

>3. Reuse ideas and code for projects like Coccon and EOB.

Oh that would be great.

<skip/>

  ~Gerhard

"don't let the bastards get you
live fast, live loud, just do it."

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@mwm.lt>.
Hi,
> [...]

> Nice.
>
> >I have "karma" on commons but I think it is by mistake. My "Karma" was
for
> >simplestore in "sandbox" only, but it seems I have "Karma" on commons
too. I don't want
> >to commit anything  withaut "+1" on commons at this time.
>
> Argh Juozas, that's normal. When you get commit rights in commons-sandbox
you
> have automatic commit rights to the other projects too. Same as I. And
it's
> no discussion, that we must show respect to the codebase of the other
project.
> Voting is the normal way, to change things in every apache.org project.
Please
> read the apache.org guidelines.
>
> If you don't wanna have commit rights in the commons project, then please
 Yes, it is not a problem

> >Most of projects in commons are dependant on some project in commons.
> >It is good, we have a lot of "smal" projects in commons, sandbox, but I
> >think it is too mucth "good". Commons can become SourceForge, think about
> >this. Commiters or some advanced users can find useful ideas and code in
> >commons, but not all users. May be, I wrong understand commons and
sandbox ideas ?
> >It is not product, is it ?
>
> Juozas did you read <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html>? It's
true,
> that maybe the code is a little bit hidden for the normal users. But
Apache is
> not Sourceforge and we have to live with that.

Ok.

> Honestly Juozas I have a little problem with you. I proposed you as
committer
> for commons-sandbox, because I believe your are a good developer with
great ideas.
> I changed my mind for the simplestore project modul, to make place for
your aims.
> But your mind is changing every day. Some day you say right, the other day
left.

I am trying to say the same, I want to say simplestore is good for commons,
but
this O/R mapping can be "project" not sample. It is not abaut commons, It is
abaut
simplestore.

> One day something with Jakarta Commons is bad, the other day the whole
OpenSource
> development is strange, and so one... Could we please stop this (being a
PITA).

 I will try to say more abaut code next time, it is code and it is nothing
"bad" or "good"

> When you don't have time I understand this, but then say it loud and
clear. When
> you don't like it any more, then say it loud and clear. When you have a
other ideas,
> then say it loud and clear.
> I know language is problem for you, but I give the advise to write short
and
> accurate sentences and at least check your typos in your emails!
> English is not my natural language too, I'm german. Sometimes I would like
> write contributions here in german to express myself clear. But that's not
possible
> and english is ruling here. That's it.
>
> Juozas make up your mind, think about your effort here and to simplestore,
stay kool
> and _most important_ have fun here. It's a great opportunity, believe me!

Yes, I know.

RE: Simplestore on HSQL

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi Juozas,
I just added the hsqldb.jar...

  ~Gerhard

"things, that try to look like things, do often more look
like things than things"

RE: Simplestore on HSQL

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Juozas,