Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com> on 2009/09/16 18:05:54 UTC

Re: Porpuse of src/main/config

Geoffrey Wiseman wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:00 AM, DOMINGUEZ Felipe <
> Felipe.DOMINGUEZ@eurocontrol.int> wrote:
>
>> I am new to Maven, and I am a bit confuse about the porpuse of directory
>> src/main/config porpuse
>>
>> I have been looking for information about it but it does not seems to be
>> much.
>>
>> I initially thought that in directory src/main/resources I could put any
>> static resource used by the jar file and in src/main/config I could put
>> any configuration file that needs to be customised before the jar file
>> is used. For example in the config file I would add the
>> hibernate.cfg.xml file, since the DB connection information needs to be
>> modify by the person who will use the jar file.
>>
>> placing hibernage.cfg.xml in the resources files is not good, since this
>> file will be added to the jar file, so the person who will use the jar
>> file will have to extract it to be able to modify its properties. So
>> initially I thought that src/main/config  was for this porpuse, but all
>> files that I put in congif directory are ignored.
>>
>> Can any body clarify the usage of src/main/config  and what is maven
>> approach for using configuration files such as hibernate.cfg.xml or
>> other config files that need to be modified on the live environment?
>>

> What about this?
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html
>
> --
> Geoffrey Wiseman

Hi Geoffrey,

it's not clear at all.
Can you please explicitly give us the difference between src/main/resources
and src/main/config ?
I guess src/main/resources goes to target package (jar, war, ...). And from
my understanding, src/main/config is not part of the classpath and is used
only for build (configuration files used to build, ...).

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Jean-Louis

RE: Porpuse of src/main/config

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the answer. It's a bit more clear now.
May be, it would be nice to update online documentation
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

I googled a lot to get such information without any success even if i found
this question a lot of times.

Jean-Louis