Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com> on 2007/06/07 14:28:50 UTC

Rulesemporium down?

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 09 June 2007, Jerry Durand wrote:
>At 09:19 AM 6/9/2007, Dallas Engelken wrote:
>>Rulesemporium.com will be coming back online at approximately 1800
>>GMT.   Special thanks to Prolexic (http://www.prolexic.com) for the
>>DDoS protection.
>
>Great news and good work!  I assume we can re-enable sa-update for
>tonight's run.
>
>Thanks for keeping this running.

Oh oh, I wasn't aware we were supposed to disable that too, so mine has been
contributing to the noise.  My apologies.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Dallas Engelken <da...@uribl.com>.
Jerry Durand wrote:
> At 09:19 AM 6/9/2007, Dallas Engelken wrote:
>
>> Rulesemporium.com will be coming back online at approximately 1800
>> GMT.   Special thanks to Prolexic (http://www.prolexic.com) for the
>> DDoS protection.
>

> Great news and good work!  I assume we can re-enable sa-update for
> tonight's run.
>
> Thanks for keeping this running.

Yes, I just verified http://www.rulesemporium.com/rules/ is serving data
now.

--
Dallas Engelken
dallase@uribl.com

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by arni <ma...@arni.name>.
Gene Heskett schrieb:
> On Saturday 09 June 2007, Dallas Engelken wrote:
>
>> Yet Another Ninja wrote:

>>> Guys
>>>
>>> There's really no need to automate RDJ
>>>
>>> SARE rules aren't being updated too frequently and any rule change
>>> will be announced on the list.
>>>
>>> Each RDJ empty hit adds to traffic, which, atm , is a precious luxury.
>>>
>>> Pls be considerate and help SARE keep the site alive.
>>>
>> Prolexic will be providing proper caching of the rules shortly, so this
>> shouldnt be much of an issue going forward.   As long as people would
>> keep their automation at 1-2 times a day,  its cool.
>>

> And I've moved my sa-update script from /etc/cron.daily, to /etc/cron.weekly,
> plus added a day field valid number to the crontab that runs rdj that is not
> sunday.
>
> I hope this helps.  If everyone did this, your load should go down quite a
> bit.  I really appreciate the service and I thank this group very much.
> Between this and some really aggressive procmail rules, I'm getting only 2 to
> 4 trash messages a day squeeking through.

http://saupdates.openprotect.com/ is made for automation - sa-update is
also more efficient for "empty hits"

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Saturday 09 June 2007, Dallas Engelken wrote:
>Yet Another Ninja wrote:
>>>
>>> Great news and good work!  I assume we can re-enable sa-update for
>>> tonight's run.
>>>
>>> Thanks for keeping this running.
>>
>> Guys
>>
>> There's really no need to automate RDJ
>>
>> SARE rules aren't being updated too frequently and any rule change
>> will be announced on the list.
>>
>> Each RDJ empty hit adds to traffic, which, atm , is a precious luxury.
>>
>> Pls be considerate and help SARE keep the site alive.
>
>Prolexic will be providing proper caching of the rules shortly, so this
>shouldnt be much of an issue going forward.   As long as people would
>keep their automation at 1-2 times a day,  its cool.

And I've moved my sa-update script from /etc/cron.daily, to /etc/cron.weekly,
plus added a day field valid number to the crontab that runs rdj that is not
sunday.

I hope this helps.  If everyone did this, your load should go down quite a
bit.  I really appreciate the service and I thank this group very much.
Between this and some really aggressive procmail rules, I'm getting only 2 to
4 trash messages a day squeeking through.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Things are more like they used to be than they are now.

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Dallas Engelken <da...@uribl.com>.

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch>.
On 6/9/2007 6:50 PM, Jerry Durand wrote:
> At 09:19 AM 6/9/2007, Dallas Engelken wrote:
>
>> Rulesemporium.com will be coming back online at approximately 1800
>> GMT.   Special thanks to Prolexic (http://www.prolexic.com) for the
>> DDoS protection.
>

> Great news and good work!  I assume we can re-enable sa-update for
> tonight's run.
>
> Thanks for keeping this running.

Guys

There's really no need to automate RDJ

SARE rules aren't being updated too frequently and any rule change will
be announced on the list.

Each RDJ empty hit adds to traffic, which, atm , is a precious luxury.

Pls be considerate and help SARE keep the site alive.

Thanks

SARE & Co.

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Jerry Durand <jd...@interstellar.com>.
At 09:19 AM 6/9/2007, Dallas Engelken wrote:

>Rulesemporium.com will be coming back online at approximately 1800
>GMT.   Special thanks to Prolexic (http://www.prolexic.com) for the
>DDoS protection.

Great news and good work!  I assume we can re-enable sa-update for
tonight's run.

Thanks for keeping this running.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch>.
On 6/10/2007 11:23 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2007, at 12:19, Dallas Engelken wrote:
>
>> Rulesemporium.com will be coming back online at approximately 1800
>> GMT.   Special thanks to Prolexic (http://www.prolexic.com) for the
>> DDoS protection.
>
> It looks like rules_du_jour had some trouble with the downtime:
>
>   [2753] warn: config: failed to parse line, skipping: AUTOBAN: Over 500
> *.cf requests in 48 hours period - Check your CRON
>   [2753] warn: config: failed to parse line, skipping: CONTACT:
> webmaster@uribl.com
> Questions this brings up:
>
>   1) do systems get un-AUTOBAN'ned after a time interval or should I
> request a delisting of each?
>   2) I see from the archives this was also a problem when the
> rulesemporium domain wasn't renewed last year - has anybody implemented
> auto back-off behavior for rules_du_jour?  It seems to be too aggressive
> in these cases.
>   3) I didn't have a cronjob in to do updates ... would this be fired
> off when MailScanner instantiates a new child process and loads
> SpamAssassin?  That's the only thing I can think of that might have such
> a high frequency.

Pls don't automate RDJ. atm there no updates and when there are, they
will be announced

banging rulesemporium.com just increases the load on the *DONATED* DDOS
protection. PLEASE HELP keep the traffic down as much as possible.

>   4) is openprotect's channel generally considered better practice now?

yes

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Bill McGonigle <bi...@mcgonigle.us>.
On Jun 9, 2007, at 12:19, Dallas Engelken wrote:

> Rulesemporium.com will be coming back online at approximately 1800
> GMT.   Special thanks to Prolexic (http://www.prolexic.com) for the
> DDoS protection.

It looks like rules_du_jour had some trouble with the downtime:

   [2753] warn: config: failed to parse line, skipping: AUTOBAN: Over
500 *.cf requests in 48 hours period - Check your CRON
   [2753] warn: config: failed to parse line, skipping: CONTACT:
webmaster@uribl.com

Questions this brings up:

   1) do systems get un-AUTOBAN'ned after a time interval or should I
request a delisting of each?
   2) I see from the archives this was also a problem when the
rulesemporium domain wasn't renewed last year - has anybody
implemented auto back-off behavior for rules_du_jour?  It seems to be
too aggressive in these cases.
   3) I didn't have a cronjob in to do updates ... would this be
fired off when MailScanner instantiates a new child process and loads
SpamAssassin?  That's the only thing I can think of that might have
such a high frequency.
   4) is openprotect's channel generally considered better practice now?

Thanks,
-Bill

-----
bill@bfccomputing.com           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Dallas Engelken <da...@uribl.com>.

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch>.
On 6/7/2007 2:52 PM, Jake Vickers wrote:
> Steven Stern wrote:
>>
>> My systems all were unable to connect for their daily RDJ update
>> yesterday.  I time out trying to reach http://rulesemporium.com.  Does
>> anyone know what's happening?
>> - --
>>
> Same issue here. 404 errors.

Pls Disable all RDJ till further notice...

Thx

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Jake Vickers <ja...@v2gnu.com>.
Steven Stern wrote:

> My systems all were unable to connect for their daily RDJ update
> yesterday.  I time out trying to reach http://rulesemporium.com.  Does
> anyone know what's happening?
> - --

Same issue here. 404 errors.

Re: Rulesemporium down?

Posted by Daniel J McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 07:28 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:

> My systems all were unable to connect for their daily RDJ update
> yesterday.  I time out trying to reach http://rulesemporium.com.  Does
> anyone know what's happening?

Apparently a DDOS attack.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy