Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Brian Pane <br...@cnet.com> on 2001/12/05 01:35:01 UTC

Good performance results from Sander's pool patch

Some test results, thanks to Ian H.:
   http://webperf.org/a2/v30/
This compares today's httpd-2.0 CVS head with
my "recycle pools" patch for the worker MPM and
Sander's new implementation of pools.

Sander's pool code yielded a substantial drop
in usr CPU consumption (see the "cpuu" links on
the test result pages) and a corresponding increase
in throughput.  My worker MPM patch was faster than
the current CVS head, but not as fast as Sander's
pool code.  (I'd expected the two changes to be
complementary, but the combination of my worker
patch with Sander's pool changes wasn't as fast
as the pool changes alone.  Maybe because recycling
the pools, rather than destroying them, reduced the
cache locality on the multiprocessor test server?)

--Brian

Re: Good performance results from Sander's pool patch

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 04:11:21PM -0800, Ian Holsman wrote:
> would anyone mind too much if I add some purify hooks into
> the pool code? (sanders & current) They will be #ifdef'd
> this will help in our internal debugging efforts, and anyone
> else who uses purify.

How about we get the new code in first?  =)  -- justin

Re: Good performance results from Sander's pool patch

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Pane <br...@cnet.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.