Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marcel Maré <li...@webtothemax.com> on 2002/02/24 21:06:05 UTC

Virus checking

I would like to use James as my company mail server, but I haven't figured
out how best to scan for viruses.
Currently we're using McAfee Groupshield which scans all incoming mail in
the Exchange mailserver. Obviously Groupshield has to go (no tears there),
but how can I scan the mail messages, or more accurately the attachments,
handled by James?

One (naive) option I can think of would be if the attachments are stored as
files on the mail server, so that they can be scanned by the regular
(mcAfee) virusscanner. But how can I make sure the attachment is scanned
before being downloaded?
A second option would be a virusscanner with a java-API, very unlikely.

Thanks for any pointers.

Marcel Maré

Re: Virus checking

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Well, depends on what platform you're running James... there are
command-line programs in Windows and unix (using Runtime.exec to call it).
There might be a published API you could wrap with a JNI wrapper... but I'm
just guessing wildly at what it would take to integrate.

I can assure you, many people are worried about viruses, and email has been
one of the best delivery mechanisms for viruses lately.  It really just
depends on how easy it is to integrate with the commercial virus scanning
software out there.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/
Posted by Marcel Maré <li...@webtothemax.com>.