Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/07 02:27:50 UTC

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Doug Meil,

Top-posting is generally less than idea, but I want to respond to the
overall theme of your message, not to individual points and sentences.

The attitude of various chunks of the US government to Open Source has
changed radically over the last few years. What would have been
institutionally impossible is now encouraged. It is unfair to
criticize these people for being under the radar when their management
told them to be under the radar and claim that the leopard cannot
change its spots. That situation has changed. The code base exists, it
serves a particular collection of needs, and here they are.

Lots of incubator proposals come from groups of people with little or
no prior track record at Apache or in Open Source at all. The point of
incubation is to give them a chance to either learn how to be an
Apache TLP -- or not. We do not tell people 'go away, you haven't
enough pedigree.' Mentors have more work to do when the nucleus of a
podling is comparatively inexperienced.

Further, I don't know of any policy of the ASF in general, or the
incubator in particular, that insists that a group of itch-scratchers
make any particular attempt to make any particular gesture towards any
particular existing community as a prerequisite of incubation. Five of
my friends and I could turn up here tomorrow with a proposal to fork
an existing TLP to scratch our particular itch, and, so far as I can
tell, the incubator PMC would evaluate the proposal on its merits,
independent of the fork.

You are of course entitled to your opinions and concerns, but if you
think that there is some policy that supports the position that PMC
members should vote -1 on this proposal due to these issues I wish you
would cite it.

In the past, committers of existing TLP's have been, well,
particularly vigilant in monitoring the progress of 'competing'
podlings. CXF was an example podling of this effect. You are, of
course, welcome to adopt that stance. You are also welcome to slurp up
every line of their code, once in place, if you think that HBase could
benefit from it.

Perhaps needless to say, but as a Mentor-in-waiting, I'm all in favor
of this proposal.

--benson margulies

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great!

-- dims

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Billie J Rinaldi
<bi...@ugov.gov> wrote:
> How about this?
> "It may be possible to incorporate the desired features of Accumulo into HBase.  However, the amount of work required would slow development of HBase and Accumulo considerably.  We believe this warrants a podling for Accumulo at the current time.  We expect active cross-pollination will occur between HBase and podling Accumulo and it is possible that the codebases and projects will ultimately converge."

This is better than the former.
Good luck,
St.Ack

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> A bit of back story of a slightly similar situation before. We have
> had Axis/Axis2 projects in Apache for a long time and along came the
> XFire proposal (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CeltiXfireProposal)
> and we had the same kind of discussions as i see here.
>
> Flash forward, Both Axis2 and CXF are flourishing, there are folks who
> are working on components that get used by both projects like
> XmlSchema and WSS4J.
>
> So my 2 cents, take a deep breath and think of ways to collaborate
> even if it means 2 code bases with some common code, it does not have
> to be one code base for one situation/scenario. Do reach out to each
> other, hang out on each others mailing lists to make that
> collaboration happen.

There's another useful analogy with CXF. If a group of people showed
up with a proposal to make a brand new fork and launch on it, I for
one would politely ask them why they feel the need to diverge, and I
might hear something that disturbed me.

However, that's not the situation here. A community of developers
formed inside of a set of institutions that did not allow them to
interact with HBase. Now they exist, and their code exists, and their
rules have changed. They propose to join us. My reaction? "Wonderful!"
It may be that, over time, this group and the existing HBase group
will discover a commonality of interest and goal, and coalesce into
one big happy community. It may also be that differing priorities
won't lead in that direction.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Billie J Rinaldi <bi...@ugov.gov>.
On Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:34:20 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> I agree w/ Doug that 'unlikely to' is not a correct characterization.

Would the following alteration be more accurate?
"It may be possible to incorporate the desired features of Accumulo into HBase.  However, the amount of work required at the current time would slow development of HBase and Accumulo considerably."

> But rumor has it though that the differences while small looking when
> described in a short incubator proposal, in implementation, the code
> is very different making an integration project, unfortunately, a
> piece of work.

Yes, the implementation is very different, and we had difficulty capturing that in the proposal.

> hbase TRUNK coprocessors seem to be a more generic Iterator facility

Some types of functions (e.g. query-time aggregation) can be implemented in both coprocessors and iterators, but coprocessors will not easily support the entirety of iterator functionality.  Nor is the reverse true.  The two models present different programming mechanisms for server-side processing.  It would be useful to have both in the same project.

Also, I saw that you wondered in a different forum whether editing locality groups requires taking a table offline.  The table can remain online because files contain information about their own column groupings.  Thus the changes can take place as new files are written to disk and old files are compacted.

Billie

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Adam P Fuchs <ad...@ugov.gov> wrote:
> ...Furthermore, I believe that having both projects be part of ASF gives us more of an opportunity to collaborate going forwards. Whether we find that there are enough competing ideas to support two top level projects, or whether we end up collapsing Accumulo and HBase into one project, I think that the competition and collaboration we will see in the short term will be healthy for both projects.

IMO, the HBase project would be more into collaborating than it would
be up for competing.

The differences listed in the proposal are minor IMO.  If you'd come
to the hbase project, even now, today, and said add a label to the
KeyValue and you'll get a set of smart developers on board and a bunch
of new users, it would be done.  I agree w/ Doug that 'unlikely to' is
not a correct characterization.  Similar for Accumulo Iterators (hbase
TRUNK coprocessors seem to be a more generic Iterator facility).

But rumor has it though that the differences while small looking when
described in a short incubator proposal, in implementation, the code
is very different making an integration project, unfortunately, a
piece of work.

I'd be up for exploring how we can come together.  I've not seen the
code so excuse me my idealism.

The discussion here has been enlightening.  The circumstances that
brought about this proposal are explained and why you could not ask
the hbase project do something like add a label to KeyValue.  I'm
gung-ho on gov going more foss.  If you lads are helping along that
effort, more power to you.

I'm looking forward to the code drop.  That you didn't use more hbase
code must mean that you came up with something better.  We want to rob
what you've come up with.

St.Ack
HBase Chief Janitor

P.S. I was surprised not to see Julian Assange alongside Doug as a
sponsor for this proposal

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
Thanks Phil, much appreciated.

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 04:34, Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com> wrote:
> re:  "overlap"
>
> This is the "there are multiple webservers in ASF" counter-argument -
> except that ones that exist are in two different languages (Apache WS and
> Tomcat).  The point I made in my email is that if a 3rd webserver showed
> up that was written in Java that copied a couple thousand lines of code
> from Tomcat, I would hope somebody would ask why.  I thought I had some
> agreements from some folks on this thread, but you feel differently so
> we're going to have to disagree.

This is not about "feeling differently". There is no "stealing" of
code or intellectual property, so as far as incubation is concerned
this is a non-argument.

Another example: Chukwa, Flume and Ambari. The're all incubating, with
significant overlap in features and technical architecture.
So what? If successful, some or all of them may become TLPs. I didn't
notice similar turf-related complaints from those projects.

  Bernd

RE: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> No... Knowing Noel, he was not opening anything. He was speaking to
> general principles about how the Incubator works.

+1

	--- Noel

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 22:34, Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com> wrote:

> Hi there-
>
> I thought the email chain prompted by my questions had a gracious and
> productive ending several days ago, but if you would like to start this up
> again, ok.

No... Knowing Noel, he was not opening anything. He was speaking to
general principles about how the Incubator works. He just came to the
discussion late, and wanted to clarify the Incubator principles.

> re:  "turf is being infringed"
>
> It's funny that you said that, because according to the other emails on
> Accumulo in the past week there are a couple thousand lines of HBase code
> in Accumulo, and core functionality at that (e.g., block cache).  Even
> Incubator supporters of Accumulo would admit that's a little unusual in
> the ASF, and I believe they've said so in other threads I've seen.

What is unusual? Building upon other open source projects? Hardly.

> As was pointed out, HBase copied the Hadoop RPC for it's own purpose, but
> HBase wasn't trying to be another RPC framework - it was trying to be
> Hbase - something Hadoop was not.
>
> I'm not making a legal argument here because the ASF code license is free
> beer/speech, etc.  It's just that Accumulo is, in a very real sense,
> actually standing on a part of HBase.

So f'ing what?!

The ASF releases its code for others to use and to build upon. They
are doing *exactly* what we want them to? What is your issue with
that?

> If there are other examples of this in Apache I'd be curious to know what
> they are.  That's not a sarcastic request... seriously, I'd like to know
> because it would be worth documenting as case studies for other projects.

Who cares? Apache produces code to be *used*. Period. If other
projects at Apache use it, then awesome. If other projects fork it and
change it, then totally fine. It might be nice to feed their changes
back, but maybe they have a different goal, and need to take it in a
direction the original project will not sign up for.

In short: every comment of yours absolutely signals "turf war" to me.
You seemingly continue to take affront at Accumulo for one reason or
another, and attempt to justify that position through various
hand-waving that flies in the face of what the ASF truly represents.
And I say: that stinks.

Accumulo has every right, and every encouragement, to do exactly what
they're doing. And they are now able to share their work with us.
AWESOME. Nothing more difficult than that.

> re:  "overlap"
>
> This is the "there are multiple webservers in ASF" counter-argument -
> except that ones that exist are in two different languages (Apache WS and
> Tomcat).  The point I made in my email is that if a 3rd webserver showed
> up that was written in Java that copied a couple thousand lines of code
> from Tomcat, I would hope somebody would ask why.  I thought I had some
> agreements from some folks on this thread, but you feel differently so
> we're going to have to disagree.

Language difference was just an example. You're focusing on the wrong
thing. The point is that a community desires to accomplish a task in a
different way. Whether that is through language, approach, or just a
different config file format... that is fine.

I'm with Alex on this one: we're here to foster communities. When
somebody has a new idea, then we are here to support them.

It is not our purpose to shut down communities.

-g

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Doug,

As Greg and others have pointed out, none of this really matters, but since,
you did ask for some examples, I can think of two immediately:

1) As Dim's pointed out, when CXF entered the incubator, it obviously
conflicted directly with Axis2.   Many ideas were the same.   Many of the
goals were the same.  Etc...  The community was different.   There WERE forks
of some Apache WebServices things into CXF (a fork of Neethi being the primary
one).    In the long run, things have worked out quite well with both Axis2
and CXF thriving despite both being written in Java and with likely a 90%
overlap in target problems they are trying to solve.     The communities have
started working together on some of the underlying libs (example: ideas from
the fork of Neethi in CXF was pushed into ws to become Neethi 3.0 which they
now both use, but it took 4 years to get there), but the bulk of the
communities are separate.

2) Wink - when Wink entered the incubator, one of the proposed blocks of code
in the grant was a direct fork (with many changes) of the CXF JAX-RS
implementation.   They ended up going a different direction, but one of the
original code bases was a direct fork of another Apache project.     They've
figured out their niche, the CXF JAX-RS implementation has figure out it's
place and both are used.

So basically, as a bunch of folks have been saying, in many cases, a fork or a
new community duplicating some ideas in a new (or even the same) way is NOT a
bad thing.     The incubator is here to foster new communities and help them
succeed and find their own place in the Apache ecosystem.   If that
competes/overlaps with another Apache project, SO WHAT.   Each community can
find their own niche and own solutions.   Users can go to whichever solves
their problems better.

Anyway, you asked for examples, there are the two that popped into my head
immediately.

Dan

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
Hi there-

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
Thanks for the feedback folks.

I would caution that it is not possible to simultaneously optimize for
both of these goals...

1)  Community over code
2)  Competition is good

... as both will be lost.  Particularly where the latter contains the
absence of inter-project communication, and competition-at-any-price.

Without communication, there is no community.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doug Meil,

SNIP

> [...]

it that way, we've done it this way, our way, for years." I'm appalled
by the code quality at the same time but that's a different matter and
I'm not going to reopen that extremely long thread we had in the past.
If those being pushed away continue to be pushed away then the right
to fork and start a new community presents an excellent opportunity
for the oppressed voices.

Everybody deserves a chance. AFAIC I don't care of this proposal is a
complete fork of HBase itself. If they want to build a community in
line with the Apache Way then we welcome them to try. If they fail to
meet the requirements then that's no skin off our back.

> You are of course entitled to your opinions and concerns, but if you
> think that there is some policy that supports the position that PMC
> members should vote -1 on this proposal due to these issues I wish you

Ditto.

SNIP ...

Best Regards,
-- Alex

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Adam P Fuchs <ad...@ugov.gov>.
Hello Doug,

I appreciate your concerns, and I would like to try to provide some context that might help you understand why we think the ASF is the right place for Accumulo.

Benson is correct that the Accumulo developers have historically not been authorized to participate in public open-source forums in any official capacity. This has led us to developing Accumulo as an "internal open-source" project rather than participating directly in the development of HBase or other BigTable derivatives. While we have been coding Accumulo for the past three years, we have also been working to improve our policies for a good portion of that time. We expect that our policy efforts, which have enabled us to make this proposal to ASF, will enable us to participate in the open source community in a way that was not previously possible. We're also hoping that our participation will draw more open-source participation from a large group of developers working in other government organizations and contractors.

While our internal group is only a microcosm of the true, global open-source community, we have still been operating with good open-source coding practices. You don't really have to take our word for that -- the incubator process gives us a great opportunity to show that we can properly participate.

I understand that you're also concerned that Accumulo will compete for resources with HBase, and that there might not be room for the two projects in ASF. I would argue that development resources will be (and have been) split between the two projects regardless of whether they are both part of ASF or not. Furthermore, I believe that having both projects be part of ASF gives us more of an opportunity to collaborate going forwards. Whether we find that there are enough competing ideas to support two top level projects, or whether we end up collapsing Accumulo and HBase into one project, I think that the competition and collaboration we will see in the short term will be healthy for both projects.

I look forward to working with you more closely in the future.

Cheers,
Adam

P.S. We didn't mean to imply in the proposal that we have a relationship with the community developing HBase -- only to imply that Accumulo and HBase share common goals. We have reworded the proposal to try to clarify this.

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Doug, I was criticizing my message, not yours in that respect. which
should have been clear from the comment justifying.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 9/6/2011 10:07 PM, Doug Meil wrote:
...snip...
> I'll let the other HBase team members speak for themselves, but my request
> to ASF is that if somebody proposes something that nearly exactly like an
> existing ASF project, and it's implemented in the same language, and it
> even copies their code - shouldn't somebody at ASF ask the proposing team:
>   "have you guys talked to the other project?"  Especially since, in this
> case, one of their claims is that HBase "can't do or has no plans" for
> something.
>

> It's all about community, isn't it?

Yes, a [PROPOSAL] thread is certainly a place to ask about what other
Apache projects and communities are related to the proposal, and how
they've interacted before.  It seems

But we're happy to incubate any promising community, even if their
technology competes with an existing Apache project.  It indeed is about
community - and if there's another promising community that wants to
fork Subversion and build BigBrother, then we should let them try it.

- Shane

Re: Accumulo incubator proposal: Statement of Concern

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
Greetings Benson,