Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st> on 2002/09/20 15:05:55 UTC

OT: java and c++ un/marshalling

For a project I need to create a webservice server/client structure. The
server will be java and client will (better - must) be c++.

I tent not to used SOAP because it's a bit heavy weight for this project.
(connection over GSM) The hessian stuff from caucho seems to be a better
choice. But they only have a java (and python) implementation :-/

I am wondering if anyone has some links or hints about
marshalling/unmarshalling (java <-> c++) objects.

Smells a little like CORBA.
Don't know if I wanna go this road though...
...probably not much less heavy weight than SOAP

appreciate any thoughts...
--
Torsten

Re: OT: java and c++ un/marshalling

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Friday 20 September 2002 15:18, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Torsten Curdt wrote:
> >For a project I need to create a webservice server/client structure. The
> >server will be java and client will (better - must) be c++.
> >
> >I tent not to used SOAP because it's a bit heavy weight for this project.
> >(connection over GSM) The hessian stuff from caucho seems to be a better
> >choice. But they only have a java (and python) implementation :-/
> >
> >I am wondering if anyone has some links or hints about
> >marshalling/unmarshalling (java <-> c++) objects.
> >
> >Smells a little like CORBA.
> >Don't know if I wanna go this road though...
> >...probably not much less heavy weight than SOAP
> >
> >appreciate any thoughts...
>
> You may find CORBA performance suprising.
> In the following article you find examples of CORBA running 800 times
> faster than SOAP and 60 times faster than XML-RPC.
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-pyth9/

Hm... will have a look if I can make this work on WinCE 4.0...

Thanks

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>>
>>You may find CORBA performance suprising.
>>In the following article you find examples of CORBA running 800 times
>>faster than SOAP and 60 times faster than XML-RPC.
>>

>http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-pyth9/
>
>CORBA is fast, but can you fit it on a cell phone? That's the
>problem, I think.

Full CORBA 2.4, no.  but I have seen a CORBA sub-set running in a PDA!
Basically its a question of how much you need - putting in place the
IIOP stack is rather small.
Cheers, Steve.

>/LS
>

>--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: OT: java and c++ un/marshalling

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Friday 20 September 2002 15:48, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
> >
> > You may find CORBA performance suprising.
> > In the following article you find examples of CORBA running 800 times
> > faster than SOAP and 60 times faster than XML-RPC.
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-pyth9/
>
> CORBA is fast, but can you fit it on a cell phone? That's the
> problem, I think.

Well, it's a BIG cellphone!
...it's a PocketPC ;-)

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: java and c++ un/marshalling

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Friday 20 September 2002 15:31, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I did some *very* simple stuff...
>
> DataInputStream and DataOutputStream, and keep track of the byte order.
> (I just standardized on big-endian.)
>
> At the Java end:
>
>   Use introspection or just code your own serialization routines.
>
> At the C++ end:
>
>   Well, roll your own...
>
> May I ask just how much serialization power you need? Do you need to
> move
> entire object graphs, or just simple domain objects?

The most complicated ones are Hasmap and List or Array. The rest are simple
objects. How far did you get?

I also started to implement something (basically implement the hessian
protocoll from caucho). The lack of reflection is frustrating though ;)

I was just wondering if there is already something available so I don't have
to reinvent the wheel.
--
Torsten

RE: java and c++ un/marshalling

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 15:31, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I did some *very* simple stuff...
>
> DataInputStream and DataOutputStream, and keep track of the byte order.
> (I just standardized on big-endian.)

When dealing with data communication over GSM-like connections, it is
often easiest to roll-your-own-binary-protocol. I don't know of any
generic open source binary OOP-supportive transport protocol that would
ease your problem. I'd love to see one ;)

Of course, it all depends on your needs. You might want to consider
defining your own mini file format (which could always be
bzip2-compressed XML or SOAP if computation power is no problem...xml
compresses reasonably well) so you can use File I/O facilities if you
don't like streams.

> > From: Torsten Curdt [mailto:tcurdt@dff.st]
> >
> > For a project I need to create a webservice server/client
> > structure. The
> > server will be java and client will (better - must) be c++.
> >
> > I tent not to used SOAP because it's a bit heavy weight for
> > this project.
> > (connection over GSM) The hessian stuff from caucho seems to
> > be a better
> > choice. But they only have a java (and python) implementation :-/
> >
> > I am wondering if anyone has some links or hints about
> > marshalling/unmarshalling (java <-> c++) objects.

there's

CORBA
WDDL
SOAP
XML-RPC

CORBA performance is nice, but I've always found it to be a little too
complex =)

- Leo

RE: java and c++ un/marshalling

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.