Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Tim Broberg <tb...@yahoo.com> on 2011/10/25 00:15:17 UTC

Wiki quickstart comments

Some issues I'm seeing with the wiki at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/QuickStart.

I'd be happy to update, but my knowledge is still limited.

1 - Requirements
	* Java 1.6 (see HadoopJavaVersions for 1.6.X version details)
	* ssh and sshd
	* rsync
ant? maven 3.x? protobuf 2.4?

2 - "Subversion: First check that the currently build isn't borked http://lucene.zones.apache.org:8080/hudson/job/Hadoop-Nightly/"

This site appears unresponsive.

3 - Then grab the latest with subversion svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/core/trunk hadoop
run the following commands:
cd hadoop
ant
ant examples
bin/hadoop

The lastest will grab 0.25? >= 0.23 builds with maven, not ant, so do we need to give options for what to grab? Tell them to use maven?

I'm sure there are many similar issues elsewhere (for example, the eclipse plugin now builds with maven instead of ant).

Can somebody who knows what they're doing please review and update this page in particular and the wiki in general?

Thanks,
- Tim.