Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no> on 2007/08/23 16:59:02 UTC

How to commit to repositories mirrored with svnsync?

The svnsync doc
	http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/svnsync.txt
and various articles on the web:
	http://journal.paul.querna.org/articles/2006/09/14/using-svnsync
	http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2007/08/mirroring-repos.html
	http://blog.codefront.net/2007/03/29/setting-up-svnsync-ed-mirrored-svn-repositories-on-ubuntu-part-1-of-2/
explains how to create slave Subversion repositories.

But they don't explain how to set things up so that it is possible to
commit from working copies checked out from the slaves.

The only way, is the one listed in the svnsync doc itself, is to
switch the working copy before commiting, which sounds awfully
fragile...

Or am I missing something obvious?

I've found this thread which describes mirroring using apache and a
webDAV proxy.  But that requires using the webDAV protocol, rather
than the svn protocol:
	http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-12/0443.shtml

Does anyone know if there is a way to set up mirroring, using the svn
protocol, and with transparent committing to the master, from
workspaces checked out from a slave?

Thanx!

- Steinar

Re: How to commit to repositories mirrored with svnsync?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 06:59:02PM +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:
> The svnsync doc
> and various articles on the web:
> explains how to create slave Subversion repositories.
>
> But they don't explain how to set things up so that it is possible to
> commit from working copies checked out from the slaves.
>
> The only way, is the one listed in the svnsync doc itself, is to
> switch the working copy before commiting, which sounds awfully
> fragile...
>
> Or am I missing something obvious?

Subversion is not a distributed version control system.

The feature you want is not there by design. This may change
to a certain degree in the future, but I if you need this feature
now you should use something else.

Try git.

--
Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>                 Software Developer
elego Software Solutions GmbH                            HRB 77719

Re: How to commit to repositories mirrored with svnsync?

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.
On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 08:31:11PM +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:

> > You need Subversion 1.5 and this little gem....
> > http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/webdav-proxy
>
> Thanx!  Is 1.5 needed?  Yes, I know what the above doc says, but the
> poster in the thread I quoted
> 	http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-12/0443.shtml
> seemed to be doing the same thing with svn 1.4.2...?

I think that could be achieved by doing some magic with apache's
mod_proxy (i.e. redirecting MKCOL, PUT... to the master server)
Of course, you could ask the article's author...

Rainer

Re: How to commit to repositories mirrored with svnsync?

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

Posted by Johnathan Gifford <jg...@wernervas.com>.
You need Subversion 1.5 and this little gem....

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/webdav-proxy

Johnathan

<87...@dod.no>, Steinar