Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by sanjay Radia <sa...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/03/01 00:08:23 UTC

+1
Java has done the bulk of the work in making Hadoop multi-platform.
Windows specific code is a tiny percentage of the code.
Jeninks support for windows is going help us keep the platform portable going forward.
I expect that the vast majority of new commits have  no problems. I propose that we start by fixing problems that Jenkins raises but not block new commits for too long if the author does not have a windows box or if a volunteer does not step up.

sanjay

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for the merge.

As someone who has been testing the code for many months now, both on
singlenode and multinode clusters, I am very confident about the stability
and the quality of the code. I have run several regression tests to verify
distributed cache, streaming, compression, capacity scheduler, job history
and many more features in HDFS and MR.

- Ramya

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 03:08PM, sanjay Radia wrote:
> +1
> Java has done the bulk of the work in making Hadoop multi-platform.
> Windows specific code is a tiny percentage of the code.
> Jeninks support for windows is going help us keep the platform portable going forward.
> I expect that the vast majority of new commits have  no problems. I propose
> that we start by fixing problems that Jenkins raises but not block new
> commits for too long if the author does not have a windows box or if a
> volunteer does not step up.

Considering a typical set of software most of the people here work with it
would be completely inappropriate to block commits for failing Windows
specific features. After all, Microsoft never did bother to check what
features or compatibilty matters they have broke in Java and elsewhere, so why
should we?

I believe this kind of rules have to be set and discussed before the merge is
done.

Cheers,
  Cos

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.