Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2008/01/19 02:43:54 UTC

The new releases' win32 files

I noticed there's been a delta for a while, the unix packages drop
all the docs .xml files.  Have done the same for win32-src.zip and
the .msi installers in this pass.

I also note that in the future, we should drop the .xsl and changed
the roll.sh script.  Perhaps .dtd files as well?  These all appear
to be meaningless if you aren't using the xml source files.

There are a ton of closed bugs and it would be really great if folks
could take the new installers for a spin, which are located in
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/ (and even 1.3.41,
parked over in http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/ )
just to ensure all these changes are blessed and golden.

I happen to be hibernating from the midwest cold most of this weekend,
so there's a good chance I can address any problems very quickly.

Hopefully we will see far fewer trouble reports.  The only thing I
really couldn't get to (since other issues all caved in on me since
the holidays) was a special-flavor AWK.exe that would do utf-8
rewriting of our conf files from, unicode command line or environ
variables and file names.  That's a project I'm headed back to after
my plate is a bit cleaner, so that folks installing in non-ASCII path
names will someday soon have a much easier time of it.  Doing this
without help from apr will prove interesting ;-)

Bill