Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2011/05/26 02:05:00 UTC

docbook

Hi Ari,

Very nice! I may try to continue writing 3.1 docs in a couple of days. Since I will be on the plane and offline during that period, I'll probably try to buy a PDF edition of Definitive Guide (http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/docbook.html ) from OReilly.

Also are there any recommended editors for Docbook XML? (I'd hate to manually escape code chunks).

Andrus

Re: docbook

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 26/05/11 10:35 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> My current view is that the website should be Apache CMS, the docs should be docbook.

I agree that this seems to be the best path. Docbook for the flexibility and insulation from being changed with the latest Apache infra team plans. Apache CMS mostly since there is nothing better available. I'm still sad that Apache doesn't have a "real" CMS which allows for dynamic content, RSS feeds, etc, etc. but we'll be able to make do.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: docbook

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Which I should qualify as "after we actually try working with docbook & Apache CMS" :-)

Re: docbook

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: docbook

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 26/05/11 10:25 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> I've tried some html to docbook converters, but the effort to clean up the result was about equal to the effort in just copying the text over by hand.
> I am fine with that. Aside from the lack of time factor, I wouldn't mind going through all docs and reorganizing them to match the modern version of Cayenne.

Yes, I actually think step one should be to create the whole documentation from top to bottom but just the section headings, without content. Some of the structure needs a rethink to make it easier to find.

Docbook has:

* parts
* chapters
* sections (nested as deep as we like)

We don't need to use parts if we don't want, but that is useful perhaps to separate:

Part I: Designing your structure
Part II: Using Cayenne in code
Part II: ROP

Each chapter should be in a separate docbook XML file. (It doesn't have to, but that is easiest.) And then we should agree that sections should be at most 3 deep. But probably mostly 2 deep.

Re: docbook

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On May 25, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

> The best guide for writing docbook format is the online SageHill site.
>
>  http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/

Checking it out now.

> By far the best tool for writing docbook is Oxygen. We have had an offer for free licenses for the Cayenne committers, should we go down the docbook path.

Would be nice if we could get it.

Re: docbook

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Yeah, I've been going back and force on this one. (I remember how much pain it was to manually renumber Anakia docs). So I guess I'll follow your advice and rename the chapters to remove numbers.

Andrus

Re: docbook

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 29/05/11 3:51 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> 3. All Cayenne Users:
>    "Cayenne Guide"
>
> (Combines current Cayenne Guide, ROP Guide, Modeler Guide in a single Cayenne reference book)

I think your structure makes sense. Each book becomes a single PDF in the docbook output. And I've already structured the poms to allow for multiple books in this way, which is why the poms look slightly more complicated than they would otherwise need be.

Re: docbook

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
So I indeed decided to start with the top-down design. Now that we are thinking in terms of "books", IMO our documentation is best split into 4 books, targeting different user audiences:

1. Beginners:
  "Getting Started with Cayenne"
  "Getting Started with Cayenne ROP (Remote Object Persistence)"

(Both are based on the current tutorials, and can be ported pretty much verbatim)

2. Existing Users:
  "Cayenne New Features and Upgrade Guide"

(A small book that briefly demonstrates new features and suggests an upgrade procedure)

3. All Cayenne Users:
  "Cayenne Guide"

(Combines current Cayenne Guide, ROP Guide, Modeler Guide in a single Cayenne reference book)

Since the last book is the biggest and most complex one, I figured I'd take a shot at creating the chapters breakdown (committed). I significantly rearranged our current docs structure, organizing them in a more logical manner, added DI and related configuration concepts, cut down general design chapters, focusing on more practical aspects of the framework, merged a few chapters together to avoid redundancy and confusion.

Now I guess we need to fill them with content (some written fro scratch, some - ported from Confluence).

Andrus

Re: docbook

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
Hi Christian,

I received the license.  I'll have to download Oxygen soon and try it
out.  Do you know if the license supports multiple machines?  Can I
put it on my iMac and my Linux laptop, too?

Thanks!

mrg

Re: docbook

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Jan 4, 2012, at 3:06 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> http://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/topic6394.html

Following the path of least resistance, I just installed the patched version. All is good now. Thanks Ari and Christian!

Andrus

Re: docbook

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Andrus,

as Aristedes said, you can simply ask the Oxygen people. If it doesn't
work out for you, I can help of course.
For the meantime you can download another Oxygen version, which fixes
this problem:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/topic6394.html

I have had the same, and now it is working again. Anyway i will ask
for a v13 myself the next time.

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: docbook

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
Hi Andrus

I meant to write about this, but completely forgot. I just the other day wrote to Oxygen people about exactly the same thing and they came back to me with a free updated licenses within about 4 hours.

Just send them your existing license file for reference so they can look it up.

Cheers

Ari

--
-------------------------->