Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matt Juszczak <ma...@atopia.net> on 2002/02/02 07:29:18 UTC

Need help with connection to sql server

Hi,

I have a very database intensive site, and lately, the site is getting so popular that our database is beginning to write this to the log files:

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /usr/home/web/shared/global/missing.php on line 12
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /usr/home/web/shared/global/missing.php on line 12
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /usr/home/web/shared/global/missing.php on line 12
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /usr/home/web/shared/global/missing.php on line 12
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /usr/home/web/shared/global/missing.php on line 12
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /usr/home/web/shared/global/missing.php on line 12
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /usr/home/web/shared/global/missing.php on line 12
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /usr/home/web/shared/global/missing.php on line 12
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /usr/home/web/shared/global/missing.php on line 12

....and our site is not looking so hot.  It seems that SQL can't handle all the requests at once?  Is there a solution to this problem?  Since our site is always getting pounded, is there a module I can put into apache to speed this up or always keep an SQL connection open?  Or is there a way to open up more connections on the SQL side (I know thats not an apache thing, but if this isn't something I can install into apache, I can contact the mysql mailing list)...could someone let me know?  Thx!

-Matt

Re: Need help with connection to sql server

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
Hi,

using mod_perl could help you, because in the startup script you may
establish persistent db connections. Just put the handles onto an
Apache::SharedMem segment, write some lock()s and unlock()s around each
access - and that's it. Hopefully ;)

Regards
Martin

Posted by Matt Juszczak <ma...@atopia.net>.