Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leon Pu <le...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2005/07/21 19:26:00 UTC

Ports 8005 8009 8080 in default Tomcat 4.x installation.

Hi all,

After lauching Tomcat with the default ports setting in
conf/server.xml. I use netstat to check the opening ports, but I only
found 8080 port is using.

What's the exact usage of preceding three ports?

Best regards,
Leon

Re: Ports 8005 8009 8080 in default Tomcat 4.x installation.

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
8005 = default shutdown port.  I believe it used to be the default ajp12
port.  This is bound specifically to 127.0.0.1 and cannot be accessed
from any other system.
8009 = default ajp13 connector port.  Can be disabled if you aren't
using mod_jk to connect with Apache or IIS.
8080 = default http protocol port.  Change this to 80 if you are using
Tomcat with out Apache or IIS in production.

--David

Leon Pu wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>After lauching Tomcat with the default ports setting in
>conf/server.xml. I use netstat to check the opening ports, but I only
>found 8080 port is using.
>
>What's the exact usage of preceding three ports?
>

>Best regards,
>Leon

=======================================
David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor
Department of Entomology
College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Cornell University
2132 Comstock Hall
Ithaca, NY  14853
Phone: 607.255.9571
Fax: 607.255.0939

Re: Ports 8005 8009 8080 in default Tomcat 4.x installation.

Posted by "Darryl L. Miles" <da...@netbauds.net>.
127.0.0.1:8005 : Shutdown port, I've not seen this working in TC in a
while.  You are meant to be able to connect and send the shutdown
password with EOL and it instructs TC to shutdown gracefully.  Other
method of doing the same include installing the TC admin webapp and
doing the same thing from the frontend.

127.0.0.1:8009 AJP/1.3 (Apache J Protocol) Connector port.  This is used
to connect Tomcat to another webserver, for example with Apache Httpd
you would install mod_jk in the httpd and it would connect to TC on this
port.  There are also other connectors for IIS that use this common wire
protocol to comunicate.  I believe this wraps the HTTP request response
with other control information in a more machine readable format than
making TC re-parse the entire HTTP request and also can convery SSL
security info if mod_ssl is in use.

publicIP:8080 HTTP Webserver.  This is a direct HTTP server
implementation Coyote inside TC, this allows TC to act as a standalone
webserver without the need for Apache/IIS.

--
Darryl L. Miles