Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chandrasekhar Sanku <ch...@wipro.com> on 2005/02/11 07:05:11 UTC

URGENT:::::: OUT OF MEMORY

Hi All,

    I have a problem with memory.

    I need to generate a document with 3000 images (0.2 - 0.5 MB each image
approximately) and my intermediate XML file size is 3MB (approx).

I am trying to generate the document in microsoft windows XP machine(p4)
having 1GB RAM.

    When I try to generate the document with my xsl, its giving out of
memory problem.

    Any suggestions please.

Thanks & Regards,

Chandrasekhar Sanku.

Confidentiality Notice

you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or Mailadmin@wipro.com immediately

Re: URGENT:::::: OUT OF MEMORY

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Try this: http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#OutOfMemoryException

On 11.02.2005 07:05:11 Chandrasekhar Sanku wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I have a problem with memory.
>
>     I need to generate a document with 3000 images (0.2 - 0.5 MB each image
> approximately) and my intermediate XML file size is 3MB (approx).
>
> I am trying to generate the document in microsoft windows XP machine(p4)
> having 1GB RAM.
>
>     When I try to generate the document with my xsl, its giving out of
> memory problem.
>
>     Any suggestions please.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: URGENT:::::: OUT OF MEMORY

Posted by john farrow <fo...@xmlpdf.com>.
Hi

> The images alone take more than half a Gigabyte. I doubt you will
> find *any* FO processor which will work on this amount of data in
> a reasonable amount of time.
> You can try to resort to picewise generation of several PDF and try
> to get one of the general PDF tools to merge them without running
> out of memory. Don't expect Acrobat Reader to open the resulting
> file on a Windows machine with less than 2G memory.

I believe commercial FO processors and Acrobat both scale better than you
think.

Using Ibex (from http://www.xmlpdf.com/ibex.html), and 3000 different 350K
jpeg files, and a simple FO file which puts one image per page like this:

   <fo:block>
    <fo:external-graphic src="url('.\GUID-11.jpg')"/>
   </fo:block>
   <fo:block>
    <fo:external-graphic src="url('.\GUID-12.jpg')"/>
   </fo:block>

It takes 9 minutes (with Java 1.4) to create the PDF file, which just over 1
GB in size.  Memory used is less than 256 MB.  The .NET version of Ibex
takes only 5 minutes.

Acrobat will load the PDF and page through it using less than 160 K.

Both Ibex and Acrobat don't need to hold more than one image in memory at a
time, so don't need to use lots of RAM.  Even if  you had ten images on each
page, the document creation and viewing process would still scale very well.

John Farrow

Visual Programming Ltd Ibex PDF Creator - High speed scalable XSL-FO mail PO
Box 22-222, Khandallah, Wellington, New Zealand site Level 2, 2 Ganges Road,
Khandallah, Wellington, New Zealand phone +64 4 479 1738 fax +64 4 479 1294
web http://www.xmlpdf.com

Re: URGENT:::::: OUT OF MEMORY

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.