Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Basile STARYNKEVITCH <ba...@starynkevitch.net> on 2006/02/02 21:45:44 UTC

copying back&forth a small SVN repository

Dear All,

I'm working alone on a small project (about 10KLOC) and I'm using SVN
(1.3.0 on Linux/Debian/Sid) to manage its version.

I have to copy back and forth the repository from home to office
(since I am in a hurry, but prefer to work at home in the evening;
unfortunately, my VPN is broken and I cannot have a single repository
at office that I could access from home).

I'm currently doing an svnadmin dump at office, moving the (gzipped)
svndump file, deleting the repository at home, recreating it with
svnadmin create, reloading it entirely with svnadmin load.

This is done twice a day: when coming at office on morning, when
leaving in the afternoon. Sometimes, I'm making a typo and even had
once a repository in bad state...

Any clues to automate the process, preferably by avoiding a full dump,
but doing an incremental one. Obviously, doing an svnadmin load on a
repository which contain many same old versions does not work...

Thanks for reading.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net

Re: copying back&forth a small SVN repository

Posted by Phil Endecott <sp...@chezphil.org>.
> I have to copy back and forth the repository from home to office

svk

Re: copying back&forth a small SVN repository

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 2, 2006, at 22:45, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:

> I have to copy back and forth the repository from home to office
> (since I am in a hurry, but prefer to work at home in the evening;
> unfortunately, my VPN is broken and I cannot have a single repository
> at office that I could access from home).
>
> I'm currently doing an svnadmin dump at office, moving the (gzipped)
> svndump file, deleting the repository at home, recreating it with
> svnadmin create, reloading it entirely with svnadmin load.
>
> This is done twice a day: when coming at office on morning, when
> leaving in the afternoon. Sometimes, I'm making a typo and even had
> once a repository in bad state...
>
> Any clues to automate the process, preferably by avoiding a full dump,
> but doing an incremental one. Obviously, doing an svnadmin load on a
> repository which contain many same old versions does not work...

1. Look into svk. As I understand it, it would let you have a primary
repository at work, for example, and then take a clone of it with you
when you go home, and sync it back up when you get back to work the
next day.

2. Look into getting your VPN fixed so that you can access your
single work repository from anywhere. If that's not possible, look
into setting up a repository somewhere else where you can get to it
from both work and home.