Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Qingsheng Ren <re...@apache.org> on 2022/10/20 07:44:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] Planning Flink 1.17

Hi everyone,

As we are approaching the official release of Flink 1.16, it’s a good time
to kick off some discussions and march toward 1.17.

- Release managers

Leonard Xu and I would like to volunteer as release managers for 1.17, and
it would be great to have someone else working together on this release.
Please let us know if you have any interest!

- Timeline

Having 1.16 will be released in the next few days and the 4 months release
cycle after that, we propose to set the feature freezing date on *January
17th, 2023* (aligned with our version number 1.17 :-)), so that everyone
could enjoy the holiday season and Chinese new year.

- What we’ll be focusing

Similar to our previous releases, we’d like to keep an eye on the timeline,
CI stability, release testing, and any communication and coordination
across teams and developers. One thing we’d like to mention in particular
is compatibility, which is a frequent complaint from our ecosystem
developers and users. We encourage all committers to do an extra manual
check to see if any public interface is touched before merging a PR. We
could discuss details in another thread later and update the contributing
guidelines to list which should be treated as public APIs. Please feel free
to raise any discussions if you have anything else to emphasize
specifically.

- Collecting features

We'll create a wiki page under this directory[1] for collecting new
features targeted in 1.17 as we always did before to give everyone an
overview and track the progress. Please don’t hesitate to share your ideas
on the page. In the meantime, we’d like to kindly invite our committers to
think about and plan what we could deliver to developers and users in this
release.

Looking forward to working with you all in the coming 1.17 release!

Best regards,
Qingsheng Ren and Leonard Xu
Ververica (Alibaba)

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Release+Management+and+Feature+Plan

Re: [DISCUSS] Planning Flink 1.17

Posted by Zhu Zhu <re...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for kicking off the new release.

+1 for January 17th as the feature freeze date :)
+1 for Qingsheng, Leonard, Martijn and Matthias as release managers

Thanks,
Zhu

Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com> 于2022年10月23日周日 15:09写道:

Posted by Zhu Zhu <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 to feature freeze the 1.17 release on 1.17 (smile), and thanks all for
volunteering as our release managers.

Looking forward to the soon-released 1.16.0 and the detailed feature plan
for 1.17.

Best Regards,
Yu

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com>.